1972 Dodge Dart Swinger-Youg Gun "RustoMod"

-

1972Swinger

Reaction score
Hey y'all. Just thought you might want to see my car. It is a 1972 Dodge Dart Swinger green on green. Originally had a green vinyl roof, but that is long gone. Wheels are 14" Rallyes that are rattle-canned black. Back tires are G60 Street Radials. Engine is a 225 slant six, soon to be swapped for a V8.8)

Nice car dude. I love the 72's. Good luck with the build. Let me know if there is anything I can help with.

I will 2nd that C strips :cheers:That is a good looking builder =P~ keep us updated and jump in and let us know where you are at on the swapped for a V8.
Welcome to this great site.8)

I'm an old gear head, but new to owning a Mopar....My '71 Scamp has a slightly crunched front fender, so I bought a perfect one from a '72 Scamp....The only difference I see between the two is the marker light....I see on your Dart, there are front fender extentions....I thought only the grill was different between the Dart and Scamp....Whats up with that?

I'm an old gear head, but new to owning a Mopar....My '71 Scamp has a slightly crunched front fender, so I bought a perfect one from a '72 Scamp....The only difference I see between the two is the marker light....I see on your Dart, there are front fender extentions....I thought only the grill was different between the Dart and Scamp....Whats up with that?

The entire front clip is different on a Scamp. Its the same as a 70-72 Duster how ever.

Nice Dart, Good luck with it.

Looks like a nice solid build to start with. Looking forward to seeing it come together.

Thanks for the comments guys. I have to say I owe C_stripes a ton for how much he has helped me already. If it weren't for him, I probably wouldn't have fallen in love with A-Bodies in the first place.:-D

The plan for the car is ever-changing I guess. I do know I want to do it up '70s style. Rear will be jacked a bit with air shocks and rearched springs. Interior will be messed with a bit. Some Summit Racing bucket seats, custom door panels like I have seen on here, a tach, new carpet and dash pad, and to put Auto meter gauges into the stock dash bezel.

Suspension needs rebuilt, I am going to put 73-76 front Disc Brakes, a 8-3/4" rear end, convert the column 904 to a floor 4spd, add a factory sway bar, and just replace the worn out parts.

Engine will probably be a 360, or possibly a 383.:supz:

Well, I ripped the ratty carpet up yesterday. Now I can count the yellow lines.

Floors aren't as bad as I expected. Only needs the front footwells. From the frame rail back, it is solid!\\:D/ Might just make my own floor pans out of 18g and save some cash.

The frame rails are solid. This car had full factory undercoating, and it did its job. I checked the entire underside, and there is only one rust spot on the entire frame. (At the back where the shackle mounts are connected to the frame.)

Today's plan might include a set of Gabriel Hijacker air shocks so it sits level.:supz: (Yes, I know I shouldn't use air shocks, but I am on a budget.)

Nice looking car you have there. All ways nice when they are solid and don't need a lot of rust repair. Good luck on the build.

Hey bud, hows the car coming? I got your four speed hump cut out and waiting. :)

I got a bit done today. Finally got the trunk trim remounted, and started to pull the Heater/AC box before I realized that was way in over my head.:happy8:

Going to get some parts tomorrow of the Dusters. Just trying to earn some cash for Air Shocks.:glasses7: Got the tach mounted and will post a pic in a bit.

I wouldn't put air shocks on it. Very rough on the upper shock mounts.

Neat looking car. I like the 72's

For probably around the same money,I would go with KYB's.
Waaaaaay better than air-shocks.

I know that I shouldn't use air shocks, but I want the car to site level and I am on a budget. It also adds some more '70s style.8) I am going to use KYB's in the front.

Today I mounted one of the CB's I had laying around. I used the studs from the A/C vents, and a custom bracket. (The radio had one bracket, which I used to base the other one off of.) Still trying to find a way to mount the mic mount. Right now it is just sitting in the ashtray. Any hints?

I am not going to actually hook the radio up because I don't want to risk the paint damage from the big magnet. It will be joined by a 8-Track deck soon.

Use the airshocks, nothing wrong with em people have used em for years. You'd be surprized at the people at the track that still ues em I understand budget

Looks good Jeremy. I think I have seen were they mount the mic to the side of the CB, may work? Sorry I havent got you shipping quotes on those parts yet. I have been beyond busy the last two weeks.

No probs at all Jeremy. Thanks!

I can't mount the mic holder on the side because of the radio design. That is how I was going to mount it, but it won't fit, and I am not going to drill this thing. I got this clip off one of my other radios, and it was mounted on the side. (That radio won't fit with all the heater/AC garbage under the dash.)

DUDE! Nothing wrong with air in yer shocks. I've got PSI in the rear as well--fer shame!

And they were all green to begin with..............1972.

decisions 002 (Small).jpg

battlefield sunset 001 (Small).jpg

5.7Dart, that car looks familiar!!!:headbang:

After seeing that car in the magazine, it inspired me to plan the 5.7L swap in the future. SWEET CAR!

Cool Car!
Thanks man! You have one badass stroker motor.

Not much has happened lately...until now!

My new stereo, a shaft-style AM/FM/Cassette arrived a few days ago. Factory AM is already gone, and we are going to cut and install next week.

The floor pans from ABS came yesterday, and they are going to be perfect!8) My bro, a certified welder, is going to put them in for me. Also going to grind the entire floor clean because the rear footwells have some surface rust.
ANYBODY KNOW HOW I SHOULD PAINT THE METAL? TIPS??
The frame rails will be ground clean, primed, and painted with POR-15. Good idea? Should I use something different?

Next week I have Wed, Thurs, and Friday off because I exempt out of my school exams, and we are going to bypass the Ammeter using the Mad Electrical setup then.

Things are finally going to get done.:toothy10:

EDIT: Pic of floor pans added!

ANYBODY KNOW HOW I SHOULD PAINT THE METAL? TIPS??
The frame rails will be ground clean, primed, and painted with POR-15. Good idea? Should I use something different?

I used por-15 everywhere i deemed necessary on my car.. good rust preventative!

-
Back