1972 Dodge Dart Swinger-Youg Gun "RustoMod"

-
I'm going through the same process on a 72 swinger. It looks like yours is in better shape though. I will be posting pics soon, I'm in the teardown process right now. I'll be looking for advice and tips also. Looks good!

Yesterday we started cutting. The passenger side pan is now removed, and a big hole occupies its place.

Some older repairs had been done using a piece of roofing tin. Now it will be done right.:-D

On another note, I found my broadcast sheet in the back of my back seat. There was a mouse nest back there too. No damage to the sheet though.

Good day. (Thanks for the advice guys!)

Looked what I just picked up off CraigsList for $50!!!

It has a 489 case, but tapered axles. :bootysha: Out of a '71 Polara. Not sure what I am going to be doing with it quite yet. Gonna pop it open later tonight. Guy who had it was going to put it in a '78 Trans Am! (That is a badass car BTW. Has a stroker motor with Edelbrock heads, NX nitrous setup, and he's building a twin turbo setup for it! Best time was 10.8@124mph.)

So I ordered this set of original 1968 HiJacker air shock decals off the 'Bay for $2. When I opened the package, there was a set of Coan Torque Converter stickers too! Didn't even know what Coan was, but a quick Google search later I am kinda diggin' them.

Problem is I am converting my car over to a 3spd when I buy the other Dusters. Should I use the Torque Converter stickers, or leave them off?

Going to have a print shop here in town copy them into static cling type decals, instead of using the actual ones because I doubt they will stick.

So I finished up the oil change I started a month ago. The oil filter was stuck on there BAD! Tried running a screwdriver through it, but that just tore the metal it was so stuck. Two wrenches on it led to it being completely crushed. Ended up using a punch to make a indention at the bottom and beating it off with a chisel. One "un-named orange" oil filter is now in the garbage, and my car will never have one of the same "color" again.:bootysha:

Also started the car up for the first time in like 4 months. Sounded sooooo great to hear it again.

The passenger floor is tacked in too. Not completely finished, but it will be soon. (The tan stuff is weld-through primer.) Can't wait to drive it! You can also see my new vintage 1972 Ohio license plate. (I edited out the numbers.) The blue on yellow looks really cool with the green paint.8)

Just picked these babies up for $200.

The Good: They are slot mags. Two 15x8's, two 14x7's.

The Bad: The 15's have had their bolt holes ovalled out. (Based on the pictures on the internet, I thought they were uni-lug. Not so.) Not going to run them. The 14's are GM bolt pattern. Oh well.

There are also some weird numbers stamped in the wheels. Not sure what they are. Looks kinda like a phone number! I edited out three of the numbers just in case they are something important.

So yesterday I hit up the DMV for plates and a registration. Insured it on Friday, so it was street legal! WooHoo!!!!!

Drove it a ton yesterday. Ran uptown to get some gas, and a little 6-year-old kid said "nice car" and started asking me some questions. His dad asked me if it had a "235" in it. :read2: Then said "too bad that it wasn't a GTS." When I pulled out of the gas station and passed the kid and his family on the sidewalk, I layed into it, with that one glasspack screamin'. Saw him smiling in the rearview mirror.

Then later that night I drove it up to a small cruise at a restaurant. Just after I parked and was getting out, a guy said "Nice MoPar!" I said it was just a slant six, but he said it was still a MoPar.

Feels great to actually be able to drive it on the road. Only crappy thing is that I can't run my 1972 blue/yellow Ohio plates. Have to run new plates.

Now I need to figure out why the rearview mirror likes to move on its own...

you can run your 72 plates, you just have to register it as historical, looking good so far:cheers:

Thought an update was needed. Drove the car to school a few times ad have gotten a ton of compliments. Tomorrow is my last day of Sophomore year!:thebirdm:

Traded two 5x4" wheels to the guy I bought the Dusters from for his set of 5x4" to 5x4-3/4" adapters. Worked out freakin' perfect. Now he can move his car, and I can run the slots!!

Did some small things to the Dusters, and am currently trying to sell them to a kid I know. (If that doesn't turn out, I am going to part them or trade for a 4dr Dart.)

Today I got a call from the junkyard with the Diplomat I was going to get the disc brakes from to come and take them or "she's gettin' crushed." I flew up there with tools and, with a ton of help from my dad, got them removed. (I know I don't need the UCA's, but it was easier to grab them than split the upper ball joint. They will be up for sale soon.) You know it was a good day at the yard when you come home and your mom immediately starts screaming at you for ruining a pair of jeans.:-D

Also polished up one of the 15" slots. Looks great. Too bad when I test fitted them they stuck 3" out of the wheel well!!

I am hopefully getting an old 8-track deck for the Dart (I am going "day 2" and why the heck not?) and I really wish I had it now, along with an Alice Cooper School's Out 8-track.

(Today was my last day of Sophomore year.) :glasses8: Drove the Dart, and did the best burnout the slanty could manage as I pulled out. 8)

Looks good! Im gettin fired up enough to go and do some work on the blaster cabinet!

Let there be slot mags!!

Got the air shocks swapped from the '76 Duster, and they work great! Running 80psi in them, and my slot clear now.

I am kind of scared to run them though, because if they fail the body will fall on the tire. Screw it! I love my slots. :-D They stick out of the wheel well just a little bit, but not enough to bother me. (And if they bother you, I don't care.)

Your lucky, my last day of sophomore year was a couple of weeks ago and i was doing some hairy burnouts in my 97 Dak... I got caught though damnit... if you still need more slots like ur sig says I've got a whole pair and we'll be headed your way (Ohio) in August for the Nats

theres a 3 inch inboard kit for the wheels around .. but that dont look bad at all! era correct for sure
Thanks! I don't have the cash right now for offset shackles, but plan to do that when I swap in a Lincoln 9" sometime in the future. (Hey, advantages=CHEAP, disc brakes, easily available parts, standard lockers, etc.)

sobiecam said:
Your lucky, my last day of sophomore year was a couple of weeks ago and i was doing some hairy burnouts in my 97 Dak... I got caught though damnit... if you still need more slots like ur sig says I've got a whole pair and we'll be headed your way (Ohio) in August for the Nat
Thanks for the offer man! You have a PM.

So I had to scrap the HiJackers and Bias-Play tires. The ancient shocks ended up leaking, and my tires didn't clear enough.

Ended up spending $66 on new Monroe air shocks, and $36 to mount the '76 Dusters rear tires onto my slots. (They are in good shape and are good tires.) The clearance really isn't any better, and is extremely close. Going to have to do something different eventually. Rolling the wheel well lip will do the trick, some that is now on my to-do list.

Also pulled my heater box out to clean it and fix the motor, and I found this raunchy cracked kludged up fiberglass patch. Somebody was a bit optimistic, eh? Have to find a heater core box for an A/C car.

My battery took a dump, so now I need to save and buy one of those, and I have been stood up on CraigsList TWICE now trying to sell the spare 15" slot mags. Both guys said they would show up money in hand, and never came to get them. :angry7:

Just thought I would update. Not much has been done, short on cash.

But I scrapped some metal, and made $50 at the fair (got 4th in the 14,500lbs Farm Stock tractor class in the tractor pulls, buddies tractor), so I have a list of stuff I want to get done.

Traction Bars-$40+Shipping, Bought from an FABO Member
Big Bolt Pattern 8-1/4" Rear End-$???
Big Bolt Pattern Slot Mags-$Free
Super Stock Leaf Springs-$240
Grant 838 Steering Wheel & Adapter-$60
And of course the 360-$250

Trying to find a job, but no place around here is hiring. (Applied at 10 places.) This sucks.

-
Back