1972 Duster, 340/4, black on black (the endgame)

-

WymanV

..you said "member"...
Reaction score
The time has come to get on with it. Let’s start with the backstory, for anyone who didn'’t catch it in another thread.

I grew up in a small town of maybe 150 people in Southcentral Wisconsin-about 45 minutes north of Madison. The town had their local gearhead named Bob-a few years older than I and he was the kind of guy who had a different car every three months or so. He would either wreck them or get bored with and sell it. I was 16 during the spring and summer of 1980 and “going steady” (remember that?) with Kathy from Portage. We were hanging out one Friday night with her friends watching the cruisers when this car pulled up in front of us. Bob got another new car-a black on black 1972 Duster 340/4 speed complete with the white stripes and a backseat full of girls. And I fell in love with the car. I thought it was the sexiest set of wheels I had ever seen. Over the summer, Bob married, Kathy ran away from home, I started and finished my senior year and joined the Marine Corps. One of the first things I did after I got out was bought a ’70 Duster from an acquaintance for $100. It was orange on black, bucket seats, 318/4 speed. But his little brother drove it into a ditch learning to drive a clutch, hit a rock and trashed the lower right control arm. So since I worked for a junkyard at the time, I started to accumulate parts cars. Mostly 72s, but a few 70-71s too. It was September 1984 when a friend told me what happened to Bob’'s Duster. His wife pulled out in front of someone and got nailed in the right front-not bad enough to total the car but enough to get it fixed before it made the road again. He took it to a shop where they pulled the front clip …and sat on the car for a couple years. Bob got sick of it, got the car sans fenders, sold the motor for $100 and the shell to a friend of his. And it was still there behind his friend's house, sitting on blocks. My sister bought it for me for my 21st birthday for $25. I took it home and stripped it for parts for the ’70 and even filled it up with the junk I was getting rid of. One day I took it out to the junkyard, and as I was pulling away I got a glimpse of the taillight panel in the rearview of the flatbed truck. And in that moment, I remembered why I liked that car so much. It was back home with all the junk parts cleaned out of it that night.

Eventually, the orange ’70 would fall victim to cancer and the best of that car went into the ’72, along with the best of the rest of the parts I had accumulated. I was painting cars by then and I worked in a succession of shops where I was encouraged to bring it in and paint it. But circumstances would always step in and it never got done. It got worked on but nothing significant until I got out of the auto body business. I was making countertops when time and money and circumstances were all in alignment. It was around 2000 when I got the quarters, trunk floor and trunk extensions. I took 2 weeks off from work, borrowed a wire feed welder and did it all up in my yard. I got the shell painted and started painting the rest-trunk lid, then doors. Before I could get the front clip done I had to move and the planets fell out of alignment. I started buying the bits & pieces I needed to finish it with my tax returns (seats, wheels, etc.). In 2005, I put it in a storage unit along with my R/C airplanes and moved out here to NoCal.

Summer ’10 was the breakpoint with the storage unit. If I had continued to pay every month to store that stuff in Wisconsin, I would exceed the value of the stuff in it. So in June I took Greyhound back to Wisconsin, rented a small U-Haul & car trailer and brought it all back. I currently work for a government contractor restoring ground support equipment for Lockheed aircraft and I have access to complete facilities to do this thing up right. Recently, the company’'s fortunes have changed and now the pressure is on-time to get it done, and quickly while I still can. I've been restoring a ’77 Sportster as well and divided my time between both since the Duster showed up. I just need to paint the tank & fenders for the bike so that’s just about done. This next week will be about the Duster.

Enough of the story. Here are the pics.

Here is the car recently back from the grave and being fitted out with the best of the parts I had saved over a few years-taken maybe in fall 1986:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I let a friend borrow the rear wheels & tires for his pickup and he sold the truck with my wheels still on it. In the end it was OK as they were the larger ’73 and up bolt pattern.

Here it sits behind my Grandmother’s house, with all the parts on it and some bodywork done around 1990:
image.jpg

Last edited:
I called this Someday Came. This would be spring/summer 2000. Here it is, stripped out again so I could start doing the quarters:
image.jpg

Sheet metal work done and body work underway:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The shell, with doors and trunk lid painted and bolted on:
image.jpg

image.jpg

There are plenty more pics of the recent work, but I still have laundry to finish so I'll save the rest for later.

Ken

Last edited:
OK. Making cookies so I can throw up some more.

After almost exactly 5 years after I put it in storage, I went back to Wisconsin and got the car. Here we are in Laramie:
Trip10060.jpg

Trip10056.jpg

I took it straight to the shop. My attention at the time was focused on finishing the bike. The car is pretty much self contained; if I have to get it out of there in a hurry I can just toss the parts back in it and away it goes. The bike, however, was not so easily moved out of the way. So as I worked on the bike, I filled in the down time (while waiting for parts) by doing the fiddly stuff for the Duster. Like rebuilding the shifter:
Duster0011.jpg

Duster002.jpg

I think this is the one out of the '70. It might be out of a '76-it's been awhile. The car was factory fitted with a bench seat and since Bob was short, he heated and bent the original shifter so he could hit 2nd and 4th gears with the seat all the way up. It was garbage.

I also blasted all the hardware. I made a "box" out of screen so I wouldn't trash the gloves in the glass bead cabinet:
Duster.jpg

DSCN9916.jpg

DSCN9917.jpg

That box is just about full. I'll get it cad plated sometime this winter. It's not necessarily correct but the threads will have some kind of protection and it'll be easy enough to paint the bits that need it.

I also blasted and painted the rest of the smallish parts:
Duster003.jpg

I don't know how much of this stuff I'll actually use but it's good to get it done while I have the opportunity.

There's plenty of it:
Duster007.jpg

Duster008.jpg

Just about all of it is now done.

Duster39.jpg

Last edited:
So with most of the little stuff out of the way, it was time to tackle the shell. I didn't want to tear it up and put it on the rotisserie yet as there wasn't any room inside to keep it but there was still some stuff I could get taken care of. Like the quarters.

See it?
DSCN9983.jpg

DSCN9981.jpg

DSCN9982.jpg

When I put the quarters on, I just clamped them down on the inner well and welded it down. Shouldn't have done that... The area around the wheel well looks like it's caved in as it was too close. I should've released the clamps before I welded it down. And every time I saw the car, I saw that and it annoyed the hell out of me. And yes, both sides were like that.

So I brought it in on a Saturday morning to fix it. I started by blasting the wheel well openings:
DSCN0002.jpg

While it was up there I checked out the fit of the wheels I picked up. I had a feeling there might be an issue with 10" wheels. They'll fit inside the wheel well but they're offset to the outside and they stick out too far:
DSCN9990.jpg

I did the math and measuring and it looks like our fabrication guy will take 1 1/2" off each end of the axle (he loves this kind of stuff-he even has a jig for it). So I'll be relocating leaf springs too. Which won't be a real problem, as we'll see later.

Blasted. There's still a few holes to fix, but I also uncovered another issue that I suspected would come up. Oshkosh Wisconsin had some pretty serious flooding in '07 IIRC and my storage unit flooded. The water line on the car was about halfway up the rocker and sure enough-water got trapped in the sheet metal and rusted a chunk of it out:
Duster026.jpg

Not real happy about it but it could be worse-especially if I had carpet in it.

Anyway, I drilled out the welds around the well, got a porta-power in there to push the quarter skin back out and rewelded it . It worked. The body line is back, relatively straight, and the lip is more pronounced:
Duster027.jpg

Duster029.jpg

DSCN0011.jpg

Nice to have that taken care of.

So. Cookies are done and it's time to start the Roast Beast and get my Christmas Eve underway. I put the car up on the rotisserie this morning so I'll have some pics of that to share next time. Hope you and yours are having a warm & cozy Christmas 8)

Ken

Duster026.jpg

Last edited:
nice work there man i wash i could get work on my car but dont have the parts right now..could go out and tear down like trick my truck lol

Thanks guys. Here's yesterday's progress:
DSCN0133.jpg

DSCN0134.jpg

I've waited a long time to do that. And look-upside down!
DSCN0135.jpg

It's still bottom heavy but that's better than top heavy. Nothing like having it get away from me to roll around and slam the roof on the lower steel.

Strengths & weaknesses; The torsion bars are still in solid steel. I'll still reinforce here:
DSCN0140.jpg

The frame rails in the back are weak tho. Not a real biggie as it'll get built up here when I relocate the leaf springs:
DSCN0141.jpg

Nice to finally have a good look at the thing:
DSCN0138.jpg

DSCN0144.jpg

Note the lack of torque boxes on a factory 340 car. Would've never known about them if it weren't for this site. Don't know how much of an issue that'll be after I get the subframe connectors in it, but I'll probably come up with something anyway. Couldn't hurt, and I have the opportunity to do it.

Blasted today. Still have the inner trunk to do but the lion's share of it's done. And of course, I forgot to bring my camera...

Ken

Last edited:
Nice work... i would love to have a garage that big to work in..

It is nice. Shame it won't last. Come Monday the 3rd I'll have to have it out. Hoping I can get the welding done on the bottom skins and get some self-etch primer on it 'cause it'll have to sit outside under a tarp during the work week. And the way things are going with the company, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping to get the shell painted by the end of January. The doors and trunk lid are in good shape and will likely get paint earlier.

The upside is I have an offer to consider which involves managing a 15,000 sq. ft. paint shop elsewhere...:thumblef:

Ken

I gotta tell ya-after nibbling away at this for 26 years, that gave me a chuckle :toothy10:

Finished up the blasting today, for now. With all the patchwork I have to do, it'll get blasted again before I fill welds and prime.

Here it is:
DSCN0146.jpg

DSCN0154.jpg

And the problems.

A little rot under the battery box:
DSCN0148.jpg

Right front floor:
DSCN0153.jpg

Up in the right front wheel well too:
DSCN0149.jpg

And the right rocker:
DSCN0150.jpg

Here's the pocket where the front of the leaf spring bolts up. Both sides are like this:
DSCN0152.jpg

Right front inner fender:
DSCN0159.jpg

And another look at the left rear floor, which is probably the worst of it:
DSCN0157.jpg

Along with the worst of the two rear frame channels:
DSCN0156.jpg

I considered cutting a couple feet out of the ends of each one and replacing the steel but I think I'll cap them instead. I don't really want to deal with finding a way to support the body on the rotisserie while I cut out all that structure. Besides, it'll need to be beefed up for the back ends of the leaf springs when I relocate them anyway. That big-assed hole in the floor will also get cut out and replaced. The holes in the front spring pockets and the inner front wheel well will get cut out and patched. And as far as the cheese grater holes in the floor and firewall goes, I think I'll bondo them up. It's not worth the trouble of welding new steel in it and on the bare steel, the bondo will last.

Cutting and welding starts tomorrow.

Ken

DSCN0155.jpg

Last edited:
With 32 hours into it, the lion's share of it is done:

DSCN0174.jpg

DSCN0175.jpg

DSCN0176.jpg

That last pic got corrupted somehow (crappy camera...) but I saved that much in Photoshop.

The list: Capped rear frame rails and welded in pieces of pipe for the rear spring shackles, reinforced sheet metal behind rear bumper, patched numerous little holes in older steel, reinforced fuel tank mounts, welded in the holes from drilling out the spotwelds for the trunk some 10 years ago, welded supports in wheel wells so lower rear quarters don't flex when you grab them, finished welds in wheel opening from redoing the quarters this past summer, made and installed plate steel boxes into frame for relocating springs, patched holes in sheet metal under factory spring mounts (which'll be covered when I make up rear torque boxes), patched hole in left rear floor (inside and out), replaced steel in three places in right rocker, made and installed steel plates to support bucket seats, beefed up torsion bar mounts on crossmember, finished the welding on a patch in the left front floor, made and installed front torque boxes and reinforced front suspension mounts. I still have to make and install some plates in the rear frame rail to beef up the spring shackle mounts, fill the holes for the factory bench seat, fix a dime sized hole in the floorpan, weld the parking brake cable mounts back in and redo the hole in the inner fender for the battery box mount.

Don't think I'll be getting much bondo work done this week, but it feels good to get all this stuff welded up. The shell just feels stronger.

Time for a nap.

Ken

Last edited:
Very nice and neat work! I'll bet the chassis is lots stiffer already,but your also doing frame connectors. Im doing torque boxes,frame connectors and an 8 pt cage Im thinking with all the chassis mods you wont ever need better than an 8 pt.

You gonna beef up the k frame and lower control arms as well?

Sure am. One of the ugly ironies of this is the K frame. I swapped it out because the original was bent when Bob's wife got hit. I managed to straighten the frame rail but the K frame didn't line up anymore. The one I replaced it with had some rust under the steering box but I wasn't too worried about it because back then these things were a dime a dozen. Now I'd play hell finding another one on the cheap, so I get to fix the rusty one.

Good thing this site's here. Lots of good advice and tips to be had. :thumbrig:

Ken

Some quick updates, for anyone interested. Primed the bottom last night:
DSCN0189.jpg

DSCN0190.jpg

And reinforced the flimsy steel in the taillights tonight. Bent some sheet metal and welded it into the bottoms. Makes a huge difference-it's much stiffer now:
DSCN0195.jpg

DSCN0196.jpg

Ken

Last edited:
Very cool, great work so far!! Keep it up. If you want a spool mount K frame and you're in Reno let me know and I'll give you one.

I too was awestruck by a Black 340, only a Demon. I was 14 and thats the first car that made my stop in my tracks and vow to own one some day. Just wish my parents would have given my the $2500 to buy that one back then :angry7:

Very cool, great work so far!! Keep it up. If you want a spool mount K frame and you're in Reno let me know and I'll give you one.

I too was awestruck by a Black 340, only a Demon. I was 14 and thats the first car that made my stop in my tracks and vow to own one some day. Just wish my parents would have given my the $2500 to buy that one back then :angry7:

I may just take you up on that! This one is pretty baked. I pressure washed it and I think I washed a pretty big chunk of it down the drain.

Primed:
DSCN0219.jpg

DSCN0224.jpg

Still fairly rough, but I'll start blocking it out with 180 wet on Saturday. Down to bare metal, if that's what it takes.

Ken

Last edited:
Off for Martin Luther the King day Monday, so I have some extended time to work on the beasty. Had to make the biweekly shopping trip to Reno today so I didn't get to it until about 6 tonight.

Got the guidecoat on:

DSCN0228.jpg

The guy who owns one of the two collision shops in town lent me a couple of his longboards-one hard and one flexible. It'll make short work of that Featherfill...

Also primed and painted six racks of bit pieces. Five racks of black parts:

DSCN0213.jpg

And one of silver:

DSCN0215.jpg

And that's about the last of the small stuff. I still have to get the rear end housing shortened and the lower control arms beefed up and those will get blasted and painted silver. I found that I have one slant 6 and one V-8 torsion bar so I have to figure out which is which again and replace the odd one. And I have to blast and paint all the interior bits-the panels between the back glass and quarter windows, the dash, etc. Then I'll paint those semi-gloss black when I paint the inner doors. And I also hit the K-Frame with the blaster Thursday. For a couple minutes. She's garbage. I could push the car around on it's wheels with the thing but the leg under the steering box is almost completely rotted away so it'll never see the road again.

I'll be blocking primer for the next few days. Hope to get it final primed Monday :thumrigh:

Ken

Last edited:
I got a little tear happening! lol.. What a great story.
I would shake your hand and hand you a beer for saving that beautiful machine! I love the color as well! Keep up the good work,and keep those pic's comin!! Craig.

-
Back