1972 Duster 340 garage find

-
Got car to house today and cleaned it up a bit ! Looks good happy with it so far 👍🏻👍🏻. I'll post some more pics and information tomorrow !!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 437
If it was on Clist then this was a nice find...... If I didn't have one already my truck and trailer would have been headed north when I saw the car listed... Looks like an awesome car.

What amazes me about people and some of their piles of rust is what they expect someone to pay these days. Then something like this comes along and just makes good sense to thrifty people who want to enjoy these cars... The other side of the coin is if you got it below the 10k number fix the leaks and detail it then make yourself a few bucks.....

Nice man,
JW

The car overall is in really decent shape. There are some lousy blended paint spots where some tried to do garage cover up on it lol. Driver side truck drip rail has tiny hole in it, and driver floor has very small spot that's a little soft. It is the car that was on Craigslist -all numbers match and I have perfect sheet and tag is on car. I love the look of the polyglas goodyears, had redlines on super bee and didn't mind the way it drove at all. I'm thinking basic rebuild on the motor seal it up and drive it. The bodywork will have to wait till next year.

Nice!

Cars can be found on CL. I found a pretty rare '69 RR a couple years ago about an hour from me and it was nicer than described in the ad.

The car overall is in really decent shape. There are some lousy blended paint spots where some tried to do garage cover up on it lol. Driver side truck drip rail has tiny hole in it, and driver floor has very small spot that's a little soft. It is the car that was on Craigslist -all numbers match and I have perfect sheet and tag is on car. I love the look of the polyglas goodyears, had redlines on super bee and didn't mind the way it drove at all. I'm thinking basic rebuild on the motor seal it up and drive it. The bodywork will have to wait till next year.

Nobody is holding a gun to your head about body and paint so fix your leaks and drive it lol..... Go have some fun with it..... That is exactly what I intend on doing this spring.

JW

Appears to be a V5X car....no stripe on tail panel tells me paint work has been done there....looks to be pretty solid all in all.

Yes there had been some paint work on the car not all original. It is a side stripe and tail panel stripe coded car both in black per the sheet and tag

Could you post up a good pic of fender tag? 72 Duster340 cars only got the "Duster" fender emblem if the car came without the longitudinal stripes which would usually default to body side moldings (V5X)

I think at some point someone put on side moldings and the emblems.....I agree there should not be emblems on side it should just be stripes.

The holes and mounting of the emblems looks totally factory which is strange to me

Hey I think I saw that car on craigslist a few weeks ago. To me, it is the perfect driver. I just didn't need to buy a another car right now. I think you got a lot of car for your money!
]
yup same here, i wanted it bad, but i have enough cars to keep me busy.

IMO buyer got a great buy. nice drivers like this that are reasonably priced are hard to come by.

Decoding of Fender Tag: Botttom to Top, Left to Right

Code Description
E55 340-4 Barrel 69-73
D34 TorqueFlite Automatic Transmission
VS29

V = Plymouth Valiant / Duster

S = Special

29 = 2 Door Sports Hardtop

H2B
H = 340 240HP(net) 1-4BBL 8 CYL

2 = 1972

B = Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA

450906 Sequence Number '450906'
EV2
Paint Code: Hemi Orange / Tor-Red Irid

D2X9
Trim Grade/Style/Color

D = Deluxe

2 = Vinyl Bench

X9 = Black

TX9 Upper Door Frame: Black / Black Velvet
531 Date Built: 5 / 31 / 1972
100573 Order Number: 100573
EV2 Roof Type OR Color: Hemi Orange / Tor-Red Irid
U Built to Specifications for USA Order
A88 Interior Decour Group
G11 Tinted Glass All
G33 Left Hand Outside Mirror - Manual / Chrome
J25 3 Speed Variable Wipers
L25 Trunk Compartment Light
L31 Hood / Fender Mount Turn Signal
M21 Roof Drip Rail Moldings
N23 Electronic Ignition 72 only
N41 Duel Exhaust w/o Tips
N42 Chrome Duel Exhaust Tips
R11 Music Master Radio AM
V5X Black - Mouldings - Protective Insert Body Side
V8X Transverse Stripe - Black
EN2 End of Codes Assembly Line 2

Thanks so much for the info that explains it. I thought the v5x was side stripes. Is it rare that the car came with tail stripes and black side moldings ?? Thanks again for the decoding

No, Not at all..when they built a 340 Duster tail panel stripe was always there...If you wanted V5X the stripe was deleted and the fender emblems included...the emblems were the identifier at that point, not the large 340 decals..

-
Back