1972 Duster ABS Headliner question

-

Duster7172

Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips on the installtion of an ABS PLASTIC Headliner in a 1972 Duster.
When we hold it up in there, it looks like it is big enough to fit an Imperial instead of a Duster!!!

Any help would be appreciated!:munky2:

I'm going to be ordering one those for the missile and it my understanding that they are shipped "to be trimmed".
Since I have not seen one yet this is all just my approach. My first question is there a set of holes or something to locate the dome light? if so start there and get a couple of temp screws w/washers in place. the take some small spring clamps and support the areas at the doors. It is supposed to be supported by the rear and front window gaskets, so trim it so that there is about 3/4" overlap and tuck it in. Once you're at that stage get the sail panels and install them over it and mark the edge where they overlap. If it really needs trimming do that. Follow that around the car .
Andrew

We ordered the headliner from Year One. When we ordered it, we were under the impression that it was already trimmed. In fact, it looks to be already trimmed, turned back, glued..... It does have the cut-outs for the dome light and also the sun visors. However, the sun visor holes do not seem to line-up, which seems to be because the liner is too wide.
We will be calling Year One on Friday to see if they can enlighten us on this problem - - will let you know what we find out.
Thanks!

Please post your follow up with Year One. I will be looking at this same project in the near future (I hope).
C

Yes, please do, I'll be getting one sooner or later since the cardboard in mine has gone real bad and to the grave yard.

Spoke to Year One this morning. We were right in the fact that the ABS Plastic (cloth cover) headliner does come pre-trimmed. All we can figure now is that we need a little more muscle power to get it fitted in there.
Will be posting results of project along with any tips for doing this as soon as it is finished! Will probably be Sunday.
Thanks for the replies and will keep you posted.

MOPARS ROCKS!!!!

Well, Sunday has come and gone and we are no closer to getting the ABS Plastic, cloth covered, headliner to fit into the 72 Duster than we were last week!
We have done every measurement we can possibly do - - we measured the distance between sun-visor bolts in our 71 Duster and the 72 Duster, they are the same. We measured from the dome light to the sun-visor bolts in both cars, they are the same, ect....... BUT the head-liner we are trying to install is inches TOO WIDE!!! This is the head-liner we ordered from Year One listed as fitting a 72-76 Duster. NOW WHAT???? Will let you know when we figure it out!!

What are the measurements of the new piece? Do you still have your old headliner to look at? Is it only too wide, and not too long? IIRC, it is somewhat bowl shaped and would be difficult to get an accurate measurement. Was it shipped flat?
C

New headliner is not too long, just too wide and the biggest problem is that the pre-cut "holes" for the sun-visors and dome light do not match up with the measurements of the car.
Sadly, we did not keep the old headliner.
This head-liner was shipped rolled-up, not flat.

Well, the mystery of the non-fitting headliner has been solved!!!

According to Year One, we ordered the wrong headliner. They said that the headliner we ordered was for a 73-76 Duster- we intended to order for a 72-76. However, the 75 parts car we have has the exact same measurements as the 71 and the 72. Anyway, some how, through the mysteries of MOPAR - - we have the wrong headliner. We have re-ordered and will now wait another 2 - 3 weeks to get this headliner.

GOOD NEWS---- YearOne is always fair with their customers and simply gave us a return # so we are not out on 2 headliners!!!

When we get this new headliner, I will let everyone know if all goes well or what----
Thanks guys!

-
Back