1972 duster hood

-

duster 2

dustertwo
Reaction score
Want to find out what kind of caulk I should use to replace missing caulking between hood and hood bracing..
Also mounting a dual scoop on hood....would it really make a difference cutting hole in hood for incoming air..also worried about rain
Thanks

20230623_195011.jpg

20230710_174407.jpg

Just my opinion, A scoop isn't worth having if it doesn't let cooler air in.
Can also let hotter air out.

The scoop might help a bit with under hood temps, but, unless you seal the scoop to the air cleaner, it won't help much with performance.

I wouldn't worry too much about rain. My Satellite has had a 6 pack hood for 25 years , driven in all types of weather and always sits outside. It has a K and N filter and no air pan. A paper element can get soggy when damp and an air pan can possibly collect enough water to pool up and run down the carb.

My Sat 1-2-21 002.JPG

As Cudamark mentioned , a sealed air pan is best for performance . My Duster has the same scoop as yours and is sealed to the carb. The duster sits inside though. I believe the 69 1/2 6 pack RR and SB had a drain hose attached to the pan. I believe the 70-81 Pontiac TAs do as well.

duster 11-26-21 091.JPG

duster 11-26-21 088.JPG

Drill two holes 4 1/8 in diameter in Center like a 72 demon and use the right rubber gaskets that have a thicker top lip that keeps the rain out

ok I app
I wouldn't worry too much about rain. My Satellite has had a 6 pack hood for 25 years , driven in all types of weather and always sits outside. It has a K and N filter and no air pan. A paper element can get soggy when damp and an air pan can possibly collect enough water to pool up and run down the carb.

View attachment 1716115402
ok thanks for the info

-
Back