1972 duster original a/c

-

72dustervs

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have all the interior parts of course need to rebuild everything , but nothing under hood all missing , question is it worth finding an putting back to mostly factory setup or go after market ? I can do all the work including charging with freon , just looking at cost , I would have to rebuild my heater/a/c box and buy all parts under hood to put back to original which is condenser , pump an all lines an fittings, dryer ,,I would need to buy some things even with a classic air conversion plus I need the box working for heat inside anyways ,,just looking for suggestions on a good path

Your car is a factory AC?

One option is to rebuild the original under dash unit and go with a modern compressor under hood kit from companies such as Classic Auto Air ect. Those under hood kits are designed to work with factory under dash units.

I was going to go with after market AC on my '72 Scamp instead of using all the original AC components that I already have. But then I looked at the cost and all the modifications that I'd have to do so I've decided that original would be the best way to go for me. I've seen people asking $150 for a complete package deal with used original components. @Jim Kueneman has a great build up of his daughter's '72 duster and tons of information on rebuilding the original AC unit.

Factory heat/AC boxes tend to be better, and the later Sanden-type compressors use less HP. There's a few kits out there that update under the hood, and the box is easily rebuildable.

Your car is a factory AC?

One option is to rebuild the original under dash unit and go with a modern compressor under hood kit from companies such as Classic Auto Air ect. Those under hood kits are designed to work with factory under dash units.
Yes original ac car , I have no issues about rebuilding the under dash parts as thats were I am at , just a matter of under hood parts

The complete A/C aftermarket kits are aimed at non factory air cars, the firewalls are different. Rebuild kits are available for both of the factory heater and a/c boxes. There are probably several ways to go under the hood. This is my '72 Dart, stock. Can supply more pictures if if you go with the stock setup.
Good luck

20221113_133727.jpg

20220930_204844.jpg

The complete A/C aftermarket kits are aimed at non factory air cars, the firewalls are different. Rebuild kits are available for both of the factory heater and a/c boxes. There are probably several ways to go under the hood. This is my '72 Dart, stock. Can supply more pictures if if you go with the stock setup.
Good luck

View attachment 1716013758

View attachment 1716013760

I am leaning toward original , so when you have time more pictures would be helpful , thanks

I put a factory air salvaged from another car in my barracuda. I bought an expansion valve, dryer and condenser coil on eBay as a package deal, I think. You don’t really need the vacum ball, older models didn’t have it. The hardest part is finding the lines, brackets & pulleys. if you don’t find the factory stuff reaso, you might be better off with an aftermarket compressor setup.

-
Back