1972 Duster Project - Back From The Pasture

-
Love the Colour, you a painter?
are you leaving the dash FLAT BLUE, love it!
I used to be. Kind of like falling off a log really. Jambing it helped me dust off the skills a bit.
The dash color is the same B5 base except with a low luster clear. That's actually the way they came from the factory. Some guys say it's hard to reproduce but I think it came out pretty damn close.
You don't want a high gloss on the dash it can be blinding.

I used to be. Kind of like falling off a log really. Jambing it helped me dust off the skills a bit.
The dash color is the same B5 base except with a low luster clear. That's actually the way they came from the factory. Some guys say it's hard to reproduce but I think it came out pretty damn close.
You don't want a high gloss on the dash it can be blinding.
Good work mate!

Here you go Knuckle Duster, I meant to post the hood pin mounting locations earlier.
IMG_1242.jpg
IMG_1241.jpg

2 days of blocking and prep.
I think we're there. My elbows are sore.
Picked up $500 worth of paint today. :(
The plan is to shoot it next Thursday if the paying job doesn't get in the way.
I'll post pics when it's done.

Come finish mine! Chatting with your son on Facebook today. I swore he said you’d volunteer to come down and finish mine

Come finish mine! Chatting with your son on Facebook today. I swore he said you’d volunteer to come down and finish mine
Yea, he told me he found you on Facebook while we were getting an Arby's at the drive through for a lunch break today. He thought your daughter's costume was pretty cool (He's a big WWII buff).
I would love to help you Jim but I will respectfully decline. It looks as if you're doing an outstanding job the way it is. I would probably just muck it for you.
This whole exercise has reminded me why I went to college. :rolleyes:

Yea, he told me he found you on Facebook while we were getting an Arby's at the drive through for a lunch break today. He thought your daughter's costume was pretty cool (He's a big WWII buff).
I would love to help you Jim but I will respectfully decline. It looks as if you're doing an outstanding job the way it is. I would probably just muck it for you.
This whole exercise has reminded me why I went to college. :rolleyes:

Boy you got that right! You and me both!

What paint are you using?

Thanks Sireland.
I think about what it "was" every time I look at it.
Could we have made it better, of course.
Is Lemon Junior stoked the way it is....of course.
We'll never forget the ride but it ain't over yet.

Yea because Lemon Jr and Kaelyn need to meet at the 4 corners and see who is faster....
:rofl:

Yea because Lemon Jr and Kaelyn need to meet at the 4 corners and see who is faster....
:rofl:
That's actually a pretty cool idea however I'm sure she would "Dust" him imagining what kind of power plant you have planned for yours.
Ours is still the original 318 from 1972 with some relatively minor work after sitting for 23 years. It will however smoke the "tire".
Don't ask me how I know and don't tell JR.
:lol:

That's actually a pretty cool idea however I'm sure she would "Dust" him imagining what kind of power plant you have planned for yours.
Ours is still the original 318 from 1972 with some relatively minor work after sitting for 23 years. It will however smoke the "tire".
Don't ask me how I know and don't tell JR.
:lol:

She only has the original 318 from the Dart as well........ (ignore the Toft ported aluminum heads please).

She only has the original 318 from the Dart as well........ (ignore the Toft ported aluminum heads please).
I'll try to remember that when we place our bets.
Did I mention that we get get a touch of smoke out of the tail pipes as well?
JR is itching to put a 360 in it. I think he may try to blow the 318 just so we have an excuse.
What he doesn't realize is that 318s aren't that easy to blow.

My son Aaron would likely want in on that action at the four corners with our 318 car. Everyone knows red cars go faster! Following along on both of those cars boys. Wonderful experiences for your children...
05CA26F3-A06D-4371-9106-1A6D925782F0.jpeg
FFD91606-322E-4B56-B032-1230389D716C.jpeg

Been cranking away here. New shocks, rims and tires, u-joints, tail shaft seal and exhaust system in. We took it for a mild test drive on Father's day. We'll take it for the VIN inspection next week then strip the bumpers and rims off then finish the body work, disc break conversion / steering re-build.
The engine pulls very hard but there is a fairly loud whine coming from the tranny only under load. A-230. It was flushed and refilled. The old fluid looked normal and there was plenty in it. Originally I thought it was the throughout bearing but it stops when the clutch is depressed. Any thoughts? Input shaft bearing?
View attachment 1715189465 View attachment 1715189473 View attachment 1715189474
What size tires & wheels did you use?

-
Back