1972 Plymouth scamp 318

-

1972Plymouth

Reaction score
Ok I just bought myself a 1972 Plymouth samp with a small block 318. And the fuel pump just blew, I've fixed it, but now there is gas in my oil. And I know I need to change my oil before it destroys my bearings. My problem is the original owners manual that came with the car, does not tell what type of oil to use. So my question, and as sad as this sounds, what type of oil does my car use?

Any conventional car oil will be fine. The grade can be 5-30 - 10-30.
Your going to get a lot of people telling you to add the additive to the oil because modern oils lack a few things the old oil had in it.
I've run quite sysnthectics for years with out issue.

Ok cool, yea I would of just looked at my owners manual. But it has major water damage and bugs have started to eat it. Thank you so much for the help, I really appreciate it.

In your area (Sacramento temps) I would run a decent 20-50.
Valvoline
Castrol
Mobil
Whatever, because weight matters more than brand when it comes down to it.

That's just me though. :)
(I run 20-50 Castrol GTX myself, here in AZ.) because it can be 60 in the morning and 100 at 3pm.

Congrats on a nice purchase! Mobil 1 15-50w has extra zinc and is full synthetic. It is only 27.00 (5 qrt jug) at Walmart. You would only need to change this once a year if you put 5000 miles or less on your new ride. Some do use regular conventional oil with a zinc additive. Just so you know, the only thing you are trying to protect is the cam lobes. Most cars around 1986 or newer had roller cams, and the zinc isn't necessary. Your motor (assuming its original) has a flat tappet cam. Usually, though, the mopar cams were amoung the best and so long as it has 50k or better for mileage, you could even run Quaker State Defy oil of the weight of your choice. This oil has a little extra zinc and is a synthetic blend. Walmart sells this for 16.00 for a 5 qrt jug. I called Valvoline tech department once and they said usually even straight up conventional oils are fine so long as the engine is well broke in (50k plus mileage). It's new flat tappet cams that are in a world of trouble with conventional oils.

-
Back