1972 Plymouth Scamp update- dash pad, floor pan,body work, etc.

-

DOMINANTmopar

Reaction score
I didn't feel like spending $200 on a new dash pad, and I didn't feel like shelling out $500 for Just Dashes to refinish mine so I decided I would try to refinish it myself. It had cracks and holes and was faded. Once I painted my dash frame the old pad just didn't look right anymore either.

I searched around and found some green vinyl at JoAnne fabrics. I fixed all the holes and cracks in the pad and then bought some contact adhesive in a spray, and a bottle with brush, and watched a couple you tube vids. Oh and I borrowed my neighbors heat gun. Definitely need a heat gun for vinyl work. Well this is how it turned out. Not perfect, but better than looking at that old dash pad. I think it came out pretty damn good for my first attempt.

Since it was still early I decided to cover my B&M shifter to match too. Check it out.

Everything cost me about $40.

Yesterday I also finished the install of a new drivers side floor pan. Painted and sealed it. Then laid some dynamat over that. After that I sanded about half the paint off the body as well.

That was way too much work for one person to do in one weekend because I can barely move today. My back is shot. A couple shots of bourbon might help.

thats my update.

I hope you are all making progress on your builds as well.

Attachments

• 1333935702833.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 385
  • 1334530441946.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 397
  • 1334530295794.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 382
  • 1334530307235.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 381
  • 1334540814464.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 365
  • 1334097049850.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 382
  • 1334426146491.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 370
Looks decent. Did you peel off the old vinyl or just cover it?
I've got the decrepid back as well. No fun.

I just went right over the top with the vinyl. Scuffed it first.

I am trying to keep the 72 scamp project on a budget as much as I can. This car is my driver, my other car is the show car, but I still want it done right. I hope to have it painted in a couple more months.

I have had back problems for more than 20 years..... and yes......it sucks. I don't think two restorations in a row is helping, but its something that I am really enjoying. After this car I think I need a vacation.

I see you have a lift. That should help. I'm jealous.

That is a pretty well spent $40 in my opinion. Looks great. Like the touch on the shifter too. It does seem working on cars and sore backs go hand in hand though!

this looks great. I got a dash cap but i would rather wrap it like you did. Whats the process?

just curious, what kind of paint did you use for the dash, im geting ready to do mine and am looking for something that will last and not just flake off later.

Don't sell yourself short. From the pictures, your dash pad refurb turned out great. Nice job, my man! L8r

Dash came out really good. Your covering job looks excellent. Probably better vinyl too :)

grant

Good job on the wrap, the saying is, perfect is the enemy of the good. Nothing on these cars we're ever meant or are suppose to be perfect, personality adds value. Perfect is boring.

Hey guys sorry for the delay. Thanks for the compliments.

To restore my dash pad I started my project with looking for some vinyl in a color that would work for me. I didn't feel like dyeing my vinyl and all that so i did some searching first. The colors were pretty limited at my local store, but maybe other stores have what you need.

I took all the high spots and boo boos out of the dash pad with a razor blade and scalple and then filled the holes and cracks with Ever Coat body filler. It dries fast and is easy to sand.

I then made the dash pad as flat and straight as I could get it with sand paper. I then scuffed the rest of the old vinyl with coarse sand paper.

After I bought the vinyl I tried to figure out how much of the 1 1/2 yards of material I needed. I then cut the vinyl into a smaller piece so it was easier to work with and so I didn't gum up the scraps that I wanted to save.

At the hardware store I bought a spray can of contact adhesive from 3M and a small bottle of contact cement with a brush.

I borrowed my neighbors heat gun. Nothing fancy. $30 from harbor freight. I think a hair drier could work as well, but it may just take a little longer to heat the vinyl and glue.

I sprayed two overlapping coats of adhesive on the dash pad and the underside of the vinyl. I made some marks on the vinyl so I could place the dash pad in the right spot just in case anything moved for some reason or I had too many beers that day and couldn't see straight.

With the heat gun I heated up the glue on the dash pad and on the vinyl. The glue kinda gets a dull look and cures a little while the vinyl gets more flexible. I then pushed the dash pad onto the vinyl piece and then turned the part over to smooth the vinyl out over the pad. Make sure you don't have any bubbles or creases. The glue is some sticky *** stuff once the pieces are together so work kinda quick. Plus don't stretch the material too much if possible.

Work the vinyl from the center out and roll it over the edges where ever you have adhesive. The curved ends of the dash pad were the difficult parts. Here you will need to get creative heating and stretching the vinyl where you want it to be. On curves you may have to cut some V shapes into the vinyl so it doesnt bunch up in the corners. Check out a video or two on you tube and you will see what I am talking about.

To finish up the edges I used the adhesive with the brush to do the same thing I did before. Spread adhesive on both parts, dry a little with heat gun and stick the pieces together while stretching and heating. You don't need to use brute strength to stretch the material. Just pull and stretch the vinyl enough to get it to do what you want. YOu can stretch the material out especially when it is heated up.

Tight corners are tough. You will need to make some little cuts and fold around the corners until it looks good to you. That part can take a little time so be patient and do it right the first time.

Trim excess material and glue edges as you finish up. Run your hands over the new dash pad to make sure everything is cool and how you want it.

Hopefully that was descrptive enough. If you have any questions I will do my best to answer then as soon as possible. My wife is close to giving birth to our son so no promises.

Good luck if you take on the project. It may be intimidating at first, but you can do it.

Oh I forgot to mention that I got the paint from Painters Supply. I just brought in a sheet with all the interior paint codes and exterior ones as well. The paint is laquer based and dries really fast. I bought a 1/2 pint which fit into two rattle cans.

thanks dartsport74 and everyone else.

-
Back