1972 Scamp disc brakes

-

BJDEALER

Reaction score
Are they the KH brakes? They are SBP. I am pretty sure they will bolt right on to my car? 66 cuda. Do i have to change the spindles? ball joints? thanks

If they're factory sbp brakes they should be Kelsey Hayes style & should bolt straight onto your '66. You'll need to swap the lower ball joints to the disc brake style. You need to also swap the spindles & hubs along with the calipers.

Do yourself a favor and include all the hydrolics too..... master, lines, proportioning valve, etc. Upper ball joint is the same, lower is different but you can convert your drum brake ones to work with the discs if you just drill out the mounting holes for the larger disc brake bolts.

Is it possible for the guy to take the brakes off and leave the hubs? The guy wants make sure he can still move the car.

Is it possible for the guy to take the brakes off and leave the hubs? The guy wants make sure he can still move the car.
No, you need the hubs with the disc conversion. Why not just put the '66 drum brake setup back on the '72 Swinger to move it around?

Ok what exactly do i need off of my car to swap onto the 72 car? I am going to make a deal with this guy soon i think. Need to know exact parts/ procedure. I have 9 in brakes.

Leave the upper and lower control arms in their respective cars. everything else in between needs to be swapped. On the hydrolics, I would swap everything from the proportioning valve to the master cylinder inclusive. If either system is boosted and you want to change from one to the other, you'll need all that too. If you choose to keep it the way it is (manual or boosted), get a new master cylinder for the system you choose to keep. I wouldn't swap just the master cylinder between boosted and manual unless you just want to see what it feels like. The piston diameters are different and sometimes the pedal effort needed is too great or too touchy.

Thanks Mark. I have made a deal with the guy for some drums i bought off another guy just to put on the 72 disc car. The guy just wants a roller so he can move it still. I plan on getting the discs and all the hydralics. It is a powerbrake car. Can i use the master cylinder too in my car? Do i need just the brake lines from the MC to the proportioning valve? Do i need any other brake lines or will my existing stuff work? The shoes on the brakes look brand new so i am thinking about just trying the brakes the way they are and not getting new calipers right away. I probably will get new rotors though. Man i am glad i finally found some KH discs they sell like hot cakes around here LOL.

[/QUOTE] lower is different but you can convert your drum brake ones to work with the discs if you just drill out the mounting holes for the larger disc brake bolts.[/QUOTE]

I had no idea! I have both balljoints here,so thanks for that!

Thanks Mark. I have made a deal with the guy for some drums i bought off another guy just to put on the 72 disc car. The guy just wants a roller so he can move it still. I plan on getting the discs and all the hydralics. It is a powerbrake car. Can i use the master cylinder too in my car? Do i need just the brake lines from the MC to the proportioning valve? Do i need any other brake lines or will my existing stuff work? The shoes on the brakes look brand new so i am thinking about just trying the brakes the way they are and not getting new calipers right away. I probably will get new rotors though. Man i am glad i finally found some KH discs they sell like hot cakes around here LOL.
If you want to use a power brake setup from the donor car, get it complete with all the brackets and linkage. If the donor master cylinder is still good, you can use it, if not, get a new one for a power brake system. Your '66 Barracuda is only a single braking system so you'll need both lines and the proportioning valve. I'd swap the whole thing, lines, hose, valve, etc. but you should be able to reuse your old lines that run across the firewall with only minor modifications if you want. You'll probably have to adapt a fitting here or there and rebend some of the lines anyway. If all the caliper pistons are free and the pads are good, sure, bolt it on and run it. If you're going to change the rotors, I'd install new pads.

-
Back