1972 Scamp Intermitent Speedo Problem

-

jpywell52

Reaction score
Under load, intermittently the speedometer starts screaming like a banshee and the needle fluctuates between 40 and 90 mph. This is when I'm going 25mph. If i read up under the dash (yes while driving) and push or pull on the speedo cable it sill sometimes stop. It seems like the speedo gear may be worn. Anyone out there have experience with this? I want to fix it but i want to have all the parts ready before I tear the dash apart.

If the shaft bushing is worn out, you'll need to send the speedo out to be repaired. Sometimes lubing it will delay that need. Try packing the end of the speedo cable with lithium grease and snapping it back on. If that doesn't do it, pull the speedo and work some graphite lube down the shaft.

pulled it out and noticed rust on the inside of the steel ring that the magnet seems to interact with. all the plastic gears seem solid. going to sand off the rust, lube and re-install and see if that does it. looks like the wiper seals are leaking so i ordered those and will install at the same time.

-
Back