1972-up ECS hoses connection

-

French demon

Reaction score
Hi guys

I envisage to upgrade my '71 /6 Demon ECS to the more efficient '72-up charcoal canister ECS, but what's the correct hoses connecting..?

Chrysler #4723551 :
canister-top-purge-valves.jpg

The 1972 FSM doesn't really help as the charcoal canister hasn't the same design and color coded nipples
Chrysler 1972 ECS.jpg

72 canister.jpg

:thankyou:in advance
François

Zoom in on the picture.....This is a '72 and it's written on the canister. Ebay pic for reference.

1705152701998.jpeg

Zoom in on the picture.....This is a '72 and it's written on the canister. Ebay pic for reference.

View attachment 1716191507

Thanks Troy :)
But it's the same canister model than the one shown in the FSM.
I would have liked to know the hose ports for the other model

Why?
The '72-up ECS is an improvment of the '70/'71 ECS, so well that systems of nearly the same design are still used.
So I can suppose that it's a better system.
But you're right, I wonder if this upgrade would carry a significative benefit to my Demon. Not sure...

The benefit of the '72 only style is that the fuel vapours are not being introduced to the crankcase system until ported vacuum is available. That is, they are not being burned at idle, therefore has no effect on idle quality.......That's the theory anyway:)

The other canister has the same caracteristic : a built-in purge valve, which is connected onto the distributor vacuum, and which turn the system inactive at idle.
And yes, in theory this system has no effect on idle quality and turns easy the hot starts.... in theory.

Do you think the 1971 system, with only a breather cap, is as effective?
My slant six starts instantly when hot and has a very regular idle.
But the exhaust gases smell unburned fuel and stings the eyes. Would a charcoal canister correct this? Or maybe only a too much rich idle mixture? I don't know.

But the exhaust gases smell unburned fuel and stings the eyes. Would a charcoal canister correct this? Or maybe only a too much rich idle mixture? I don't know.
My guess is that it will not correct that.
Now this is an educated guess, not a wild *** guess.

The charcoal cannister systems have very little effect on the mixtures. They are designed to be purged using the manifold vacuum, and purge can be increased when the throttle opens above idle.

More likely the cause of burning - stinging is incomplete combustion primarily due to the initial timing and secondarily fuel mix (they work together). This is more common with hot rods than factory setups but with changed distributors and other seemingly minor changes would not surprise me one bit with a stock engine.

As far as your original question.
See if the port identifications shown here help:

Although slightly different cannisters, there is an illustrated explanation of how these systems work here
with a backup on my website

-
Back