1973 340 air cleaner color

-

go-fish

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
F95587AE-0A85-4D8F-A36D-B94C1392E866.jpeg
0F654B40-804A-48C9-8F6D-112291F1A744.jpeg
Going to a swap meet on Sunday in Ontario, CA (Mopars in May) and will be hunting for an air cleaner for my car. I would like to find the correct one so I researched some Google images and see a bunch of Chrysler Blue engines with orange air cleaners. ???
I figured they would be black. What gives. Can any of you guys confirm the color? An orange cleaner on a blue engine just doesn't seem right.
I'm not usually one to car about exact OEM parts but I would like to at least find the right color air cleaner.

You failed to tell us the engine. It makes a difference. What year?

I believe it was Orange, and larger than the earlier black one with the "pie pan" 340 4 barrel decals. It was a large Orange with 340 four barrel sticker. That is the correct one, and a thermoquad carb...but, yes that orange/blue combo is correct on 340 for 72-73.

73 had a vacuum door on the bottom I believe. An yes they were orange. If you want a chrome one get one from a Little Red Express

Last edited:
The set ups in you pics are correct and it's an odd color orange - doesn't match any of the orange engine colors...

It was a large Orange with 340 four barrel sticker. That is the correct one, and a thermoquad carb...but, yes that orange/blue combo is correct on 340 for 72-73.
Thanks, good to keep in mind about the decal. Not so worried about the carb being correct. Just want it to look pretty much original looking when I pop the hood.

Nicks garage has a guide for mopar aircleaners.
Thanks for the tip. Just looked it up.

73 had a vacuum door on the bottom I believe. An yes they were orange. If you want a chrome get one from a Little Red Express
Pre '63 they were all black or white, just like everything else I see in the pictures ....

This is what I’m working with. Never mind the “400” sticker on the air cleaner. Going to get a 340 one and keep this set up on hand.
5B7E4432-53DF-4F16-A439-BE636EC325A2.jpeg

Original 72/73 cleaner. They are "Fram" orange, just like the '69/'70 oval cleaner lids.
aircleaners 011.JPG
aircleaners 017.JPG
aircleaners 001.JPG

The original air cleaner on my 73 340 Charger was I believe the same color as the second picture. It was pretty bright. Car had 79K miles on it when I got it.

Original 72/73 cleaner.
According to Nick's Garage the dual snorkel IS correct for that 400 but the 340's had one snorkel. If I found a dual I may be inclined to use that. They are just too cool.

73 had a vacuum door on the bottom I believe. An yes they were orange. If you want a chrome one get one from a Little Red Express
My bad, 73 440 had the trap door not the 340?
Or did the early 73 340 have a trap door?

Last edited:
Blue engine, orange air cleaner is correct for 73 340. 72 and some 73 had the flapper in the air cleaner base. Most 73 no flapper.
I dont know what they called the color but it was close to street hemi orange but not quite. A little brighter.
I have a couple unmolested ones here if you need to see the color. The 400 one pictured above tells the story. Same color.

MoparMike1974 is right about the 1973 air cleaner. Up to December 1972 there was a trap door and after that no trap door.

If it matters, I had a 74 Duster 360 that had an orange, single snorkel air cleaner (original to the car) with the engine size on the lid, with a sticker/decal.

Here is an original paint 72 trap door I have.
S5nbOr.jpg

-
Back