1973 360la

-

tony20110

Reaction score
I've located a 1973 360LA with 69000 miles on it. It's currently in an old motor home. It looks like its in good shape. Starts right up and sounds good. I'm planning on using this as the base for my motor build for my 66 Cuda. I am going to shoot for generally speaking 350 to 400 hp. I have a verbal agreement to pick it up for $250.

Can anyone comment on this motor? I'm a newby for sure and any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks FABO!

If nothing's cracked, it's a good core to build.

Tony, when you say "base", I assume you're gonna have it gone thru?

The nice thing about the low miles is, it's probably never been rebuilt or bored. A regulation rebuild with .030 over KB pistons and balancing, along with a moderate hyd cam & springs, headers, dual plane intake, and a 650/750ish carb will get you close to the sweet spot of the performance your looking for.

Have the heads magnafluxed. Motor homes put a lot of load/strain on the motor making the heads more apt to developing cracks. Same goes for any motor subjected to towing or hauling.

Tony, when you say "base", I assume you're gonna have it gone thru?

The nice thing about the low miles is, it's probably never been rebuilt or bored. A regulation rebuild with .030 over KB pistons and balancing, along with a moderate hyd cam & springs, headers, dual plane intake, and a 650/750ish carb will get you right in the sweet spot of the performance your looking for.

Yes Rick. It's never been rebuilt. I'll be sending the block out to be cleaned bored and measured. Thanks for the tips. I'm looking for basic setups like you've mentioned to get me where I want to go.

Hopefully the transmission is a standard long tailshaft type with a slip yoke like cars and light trucks use. Some motorhomes used a short tailshaft with a bolt on driveshaft and are not usable in a car unless you swap out the output section for a car type

Other than that it sounds like you got a good deal.

Hopefully the transmission is a standard long tailshaft type with a slip yoke like cars and light trucks use. Some motorhomes used a short tailshaft with a bolt on driveshaft and are not usable in a car unless you swap out the output section for a car type

Other than that it sounds like you got a good deal.

How long would the "short" tail shaft be in comparison to the long?

How long would the "short" tail shaft be in comparison to the long?

REAL short. almost like a "cap" on the rear of the transmission case. you won't be able to miss it. I've seen some people run them like that. The stock tailshaft swaps on real easy though.

Is that an old Class C motorhome... I had a several of the mid 70s Class C motorhomes and currently own a 77 ...all had 360s in them...and all had regular 727....

that is your standard everyday 727...you are good to go

ok..I posted your picture for you...

Attachments

• 727.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 123
Yep, you got lucky. Should be a good stout trans.

To post a picture(s) don't use the "quick reply". Use the "go advanced" button. When you click on "go advanced" down below the text box you'll see a box that says "additional features" and in it will be a box to click on to upload photos. When you click on that box another window will open that you upload the pics too.

-
Back