1973 Dart H Code value

-
A roof skin by itself isn’t any harder to replace than a full floor pan. The only problem is finding the skin. If you’ve got one, it’s not a big deal. And a full floor pan replacement is pretty typical rust in a lot of places. Roof skins replacements just freak people out because they usually show up on cars with more serious rust everywhere else too.

All of these cars cost more to repair and restore than what they’re actually worth. If you’re paying someone else to do the work you can forget ever selling for a profit, unless you hold onto the car long enough for the rising market to create a profit for you. If you do the work yourself and pay attention to costs you might be able to come out a little ahead compared to the cost of parts, but again, you’re not going to make money if you consider labor.

The only real question to ask is if you want to build the car and have the resources (money/time/skills) to do it.

I hear you blu. Rust is certainly not a small "fix". But I guess what captures my eye, like most I am sure, is "what it is", and it being an old Mopar to boot. With the rest of the car being north of 75% (minus the engine), it draws a guy in. But, as I think it was stated earlier, lots of wife's have sold husbands projects that never came to life. I told him I was interested, he has agreed to toss in the parts car you see in the back ground. So when we get the current Sport wrapped up, we will see. Might just make a cool, old, basically stock, 4 speed grocery get'er. The proverbial Mopar sleeper if you will....

Buy it if the price is right.
Haven't seen it mentioned but it should have torque boxs on it, being a 340 manual tranny car.

Buy it if the price is right.
Haven't seen it mentioned but it should have torque boxs on it, being a 340 manual tranny car.

“Should” being the key word there. Seems like the number of cars equipped with torque boxes dropped pretty significantly on the 73+ cars. There’s definitely been at least a couple people with 73+ 340 or 360 cars that have mentioned their cars didn’t have them.

“Should” being the key word there. Seems like the number of cars equipped with torque boxes dropped pretty significantly on the 73+ cars. There’s definitely been at least a couple people with 73+ 340 or 360 cars that have mentioned their cars didn’t have them.
I have a 73, 340, 3 speed manual tranny, snorkle hood scoop Dart that has the torque boxs.

Are they visible from the engine bay or do you have to look under to tell definitively? Does anyone have a picture to compare with/without?

More pics of car. Still trying to dial in a fair price. On a side note, since the top would have to come off, what happens to the value if I put a sun roof top back on?

CE8C3FFD-C2DB-4869-85FB-98B2FC79498B.jpeg

51226036-D1F5-4B4B-B519-035390C02493.jpeg

8D519835-5408-4AB4-9022-F624B08F2A36.jpeg

8F2663B8-FBD9-4FC1-ACA2-7C75BC06D009.jpeg

85C6ACE0-AE6E-4638-8059-E76906888EAF.jpeg

i think putting a sunroof in would scare more people away then painting a picture of hillary on the hood

I just want to be clear, I wouldn't order one from Amazon and cut'er in..

If I am locating a Sport that has a good roof to use, I was thinking locate a Sport that has a factory Sunroof to use. While it may not be a factory option for this particular car, it would still be a 1973 OEM roof. Are you thinking the roof would have more of a negative impact than the fact the car does not have a 340 in it, let alone a matching number 340?

Is the best play here to put a "non-sunroof" roof back on it, and try to locate a 340 to go back into it? In the end, if the value is drained from this car, other than it is still an H code I know, does the roof matter more or less than the wrong engine being it?

The roof, by far
Most of the guys on here can swap out an engine with regular hand tools in an afternoon

But a roof?
Now we're talking welders and paint
Not as easy to swap out

The roof, by far
Most of the guys on here can swap out an engine with regular hand tools in an afternoon

But a roof?
Now we're talking welders and paint
Not as easy to swap out

I'm not worried about doing the swap, that is no big deal. My concern is more about what it does to the value of the car. Would it actually take away from the value putting a factory "sun roof" top back on it in contrast to a "Non-Sun Roof" top?

I know your not worried about doing it, but a potential buyer might

I see it as a $500 parts car that MIGHT be feasible to "restore".
A 73 up 340 car missing original engine is low on the value list.

Why do you want it?
If it’s to make yourself a fun car then $1000 or maybe more won’t matter because the value will be in working on it & driving it. You already know you'll be upside down on this immediately unless it’s just a parts car.
I see adding a sunroof that actually works & doesn’t leak as not detracting from value or maybe adding value.
I wouldn’t worry about keeping it OEM because someone wanting one will find a nicer original one.
It might be quicker to find a decent slant six car & transfer the four speed & fold down seat.

Finding a donor roof with a working sunroof will be the challenge. The cables, trim and seals are hard to come by for a sunroof so welding a new roof on might be easier than finding the various sunroof components.

It’s a H code ‘73 A body you’re looking at here. If you’re fine with being upside down (relative to what it would sell for fully restored), assuming you do a restoration with no shortcuts, then go ahead with the purchase and the modifications you are planning!

Man that is rusty. Full vinyl top car though, i think it would look really sharp when done.

in 09 i was going to buy a new challenger. they told me i couldnt get it without a sunroof and stripes. i passed on it

I'm not worried about doing the swap, that is no big deal. My concern is more about what it does to the value of the car. Would it actually take away from the value putting a factory "sun roof" top back on it in contrast to a "Non-Sun Roof" top?

I'm in. The swap is nothing but work and effort. I do nothing but repair rust. Is it "worth"it to do a roof? That's another story. Does the sunroof hurt, no, it doesn't matter. You don't have the drive train. Rust repair is just a bunch of spot welds.........unless you open up the can and the inside is rotten. I'm going out on a limb here, but I would be very leery of this car. In my world, and that's a rusty area, that roof would make that a $500 car. ONLY because it is a 340 4 speed.
Slant 6 or 318........parts car.
There is another view for you.
Sorry

I'm in. The swap is nothing but work and effort. I do nothing but repair rust. Is it "worth"it to do a roof? That's another story. Does the sunroof hurt, no, it doesn't matter. You don't have the drive train. Rust repair is just a bunch of spot welds.........unless you open up the can and the inside is rotten. I'm going out on a limb here, but I would be very leery of this car. In my world, and that's a rusty area, that roof would make that a $500 car. ONLY because it is a 340 4 speed.
Slant 6 or 318........parts car.
There is another view for you.
Sorry

The more I read the feedback, the more it is a $500 car to me, unless he throws in the 4 speed, maybe $750-$800 then at that point. If I move forward on it, I would likely put the sunroof top on it just because it’s different, and it’s kinda cool. But in the end, it’s only an H code by virtue of the fender tag and floor hump. There’s no numbers to be matched so the value has hit bottom I’m guessing. Other than that, it’s a dart, is a dart, is a dart. Nothing I do is going to restore the H code value, only improve the wow factor. I do stand by the car is certainly worth saving despite the roof and missing 340, but again, H code value is lost on this one. May be a great candidate for building up one of my extra 360’s to stab in it given the 4spd, torque box, etc.

Another tragedy lost in the weeds....

It is an H code car whether it has the original engine or not. Whoever owns it is always going to bring up that fact that it's an H code. So I would say it does have more value then a c code slant 6 car.

It is an H code car whether it has the original engine or not. Whoever owns it is always going to bring up that fact that it's an H code. So I would say it does have more value then a c code slant 6 car.

True, but how much more value? $100? $1,000? $5,000? Quantifying that value is almost impossible. The fact it doesn’t have the matching engine means that incremental H code value is probably closer to the $100 or $500 premium range compared to a C code slant car. Heck, a mint or well preserved C code car with a 340 transplanted into it might have similar value to this H code with a non matching 340 drivetrain? And that C code car will probably cost less, even after dropping a 340 into it, compared to sinking the $$$ into restoring this H code Dart?

Is the $1000-$1500 an expected price WITH 340 and 4 speed included?

Last edited:
Did the original engine and trans pop up? If so, value goes up. Regardless, where I live a 340 and trans are worth more than $1500!

Did the original engine and trans pop up? If so, value goes up. Regardless, where I live a 340 and trans are worth more than $1500!
He has one available, but not the original. Date code is period correct, but doesn’t match VIN

-
Back