1973 Dart Sport 340 4 speed.......how rare? Value?

-

1962Edison

....diggin' the Mopars....!
Reaction score
I've just bought this 1973 Dart Sport 340, 4 speed car in good condition. Its a driver w/a few cool options including rallye mirrors..mostly original paint, really solid car.........how rare????

Tnx,
Bryan.

$_27 (9).JPG

Last edited:
No fold down rear seat..... mostly original paint, very solid car.

Does it still have the 8.25 rear axle. Mine was changed out years ago to an 8.75. Probably worth more the closer to stock it is?

Is it numbers matching engine and transmission?

Here in Canada it's seems anything over $20,000 for an Abody it sits forever for sale.
Most seem to ask $7000-$15000 in all different shapes and engine configurations.

Anything over $15,000-$20,000 I put into my car I don't expect to get back if I ever sale.

I paid $9500 for my car that he was asking $12000 (had to get rid of it moving, last day)

1973 Dart Sport
Fastback Coupe: 68,113
340 Fastback Coupe: 11,315
Total 1973 Dart Sports: 79,428

Those are the production numbers. I don't think I've seen a break down for 4 speeds vs auto's for the '73's.

Nice find regardless of rarity, looks pretty solid. The 73+ cars just don't bring as much money.

1973 Dart Sport
Fastback Coupe: 68,113
340 Fastback Coupe: 11,315
Total 1973 Dart Sports: 79,428

Those are the production numbers. I don't think I've seen a break down for 4 speeds vs auto's for the '73's.

Its a fair guess that by 1973, sales of 4 speed cars were dropping. The famous 66-71 B body 4 speed/727 split was often 40% 4 speed at best.
I'd guess that by 1973, that number was in the 30% range at most.
I just sold a TX9 340 Dart Sport 727 A/C car a few months back. It had newer paint but the 340 was long gone. I got $9,000 for it.

I am a big fan of the Dart Sports, and yes, it's a rare car especially in Canada.
What makes them more rare is the fact that they weren't as popular as the '72 and older cars, and a lot of them got parted out and crushed.
To me, i think you got a good score there, and will have a lot of fun with it.
Enjoy it as is, and try to not put a lot of money into it if you are thinking of selling it in the future.

Does it still have the 8.25 rear axle. Mine was changed out years ago to an 8.75. Probably worth more the closer to stock it is?

Is it numbers matching engine and transmission?

All numbers matching.... and yes, 8.25 still in it.

All numbers matching.... and yes, 8.25 still in it.

Very cool car. It really should have been called a Demon but a bunch of idiots were going to boycott Chrysler so they caved in to the nitwits and called it the Dart Sport.

It's hard for me to understand how ONE year affects value so much when the cars are virtually identical to the 72 Demon. Grill and tail lights are the two big factors. And the 8.25 axle. Everything else is the same.

I'd clean that bugger up and enjoy it. I've been trying to get the local track recognize 1973 model years in their Oldy but goodie races but they are pretty stone headed about it.

A lot more than the grille, taillights and 8.25 changed. Fenders are different, hood is different, entire interior changed (lots of plastic), front bumpers were redesigned, front valance went away. And the dreaded "beak" showed up. Plus some of the changes from '72 weren't great either, no rallye gauges, power was down, goofy plastic side markers. And the twin scoops went away! I think most of it though is that a lot of folks just prefer the earlier body design.

Some good things happened too, all the V8 cars got disk brakes and the BBP. Large upper ball joints started, the spool mount K frame, redesigned front sway bar, and the fold down seat. And if you like the snorkel scoop that showed up.

And on top of all that they sold more cars 73+, highest year of production for the Dusters was '74. '73 Dart sports actually outsold the '72 Demons, and were almost on par with the '71s for total sales.

1971 Demon
Fastback Coupe: 69,861
340 Fastback Coupe: 10,098
Total 1971 Demons: 79,959

1972 Demon
Fastback Coupe: 39,880
U.S 340 Fastback Coupe: 8,700
Total 1972 Demons: 48,580

I'd say it's pretty rare by today's standards, and as is would fetch between $8-12k!

A lot more than the grille, taillights and 8.25 changed. Fenders are different, hood is different, entire interior changed (lots of plastic), front bumpers were redesigned, front valance went away. And the dreaded "beak" showed up. Plus some of the changes from '72 weren't great either, no rallye gauges, power was down, goofy plastic side markers. And the twin scoops went away! I think most of it though is that a lot of folks just prefer the earlier body design.

Some good things happened too, all the V8 cars got disk brakes and the BBP. Large upper ball joints started, the spool mount K frame, redesigned front sway bar, and the fold down seat. And if you like the snorkel scoop that showed up.

And on top of all that they sold more cars 73+, highest year of production for the Dusters was '74. '73 Dart sports actually outsold the '72 Demons, and were almost on par with the '71s for total sales.

1971 Demon
Fastback Coupe: 69,861
340 Fastback Coupe: 10,098
Total 1971 Demons: 79,959

1972 Demon
Fastback Coupe: 39,880
U.S 340 Fastback Coupe: 8,700
Total 1972 Demons: 48,580

You, I and most likely everyone here at FABO would see those difference. The great majority of the public couldn't tell a 70 Duster from a 73 Dart Sport with a gun to their heads. I know because my car is called a Duster all the time. Same when I had my 72 Demon. Funny I had a 72 and my buddy had a 71 Demon. We were at a park drinking beer. A guy came up and said nice Dusters. My buddy corrected him and the guy argued with him for 10 minutes that it wasn't a Demon but a Duster!

I miss 1981.

You, I and most likely everyone here at FABO would see those difference. The great majority of the public couldn't tell a 70 Duster from a 73 Dart Sport with a gun to their heads. I know because my car is called a Duster all the time. Same when I had my 72 Demon. Funny I had a 72 and my buddy had a 71 Demon. We were at a park drinking beer. A guy came up and said nice Dusters. My buddy corrected him and the guy argued with him for 10 minutes that it wasn't a Demon but a Duster!

I miss 1981.

Oh I know. Heck people call my Duster a Nova. My Challenger is called a Charger all the time, those two cars look nothing alike.

But the people buying them generally should know the difference, and that's what drives the value. Most people just do not like that 73+ redesign, at least compared to the 70-72 cars.

I saw that car advertised for sale and thought it was a pretty cool survivor.I'm glad it showed up on here with a happy new owner.I dig the Keystone wheels,they're one of my all time favorites.

...trying to figure out why the fender tag info won't give up the vinyl roof color...?

LM29:
Dodge Dart,Demon
Medium
2 Door Sports Hardtop

H3B: 340 240HP(net) 1-4BBL 8 CYL
Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA

103600: Sequence number

E55: 340 cid 4 barrel V8 275hp
D21: 4 Speed Manual Transmission
EW1: Eggshell White Exterior Color
D2Y4: Trim - Luxury, Vinyl Bench Seat, Gold/Black
000: Full Door Panels
804: Build Date: August 04
B21269: Order number

V4X: Unknown Top Color
C: Canada Specifications
B41: Front Disc Brakes w/Standard 10in RR Drum
G37: OS Dual Racing Mirrors
J54: Sport Hood
M21: Roof drip rail moldings

N76: Coolant Recovery System
V21: Performance Hood Treatment
V6X: Longitudinal Stripes, Black
V8X: Tranverse Stripes, Black
26: 26in Radiator
EN1: End of Sales Codes

That's a nice car. You bought it from someone in the same town I live in. I saw it on the street once and it looked and sounded good. I'm glad it went to a good home!

Cley

That's a nice car. You bought it from someone in the same town I live in. I saw it on the street once and it looked and sounded good. I'm glad it went to a good home!

Cley

Tnx Cley, it'll be well taken care of......

-
Back