1973 dart sport 340 (factory 275 horsepower)

-

3rdstmk

Reaction score
Recently purchased a 1973 dart sport 340. The fender tag date code reads 930 (assuming 9/30/72). The block numbers match the VIN. The engine has a casting date that reads 1/19/71. The engine appears like its never been apart and is orange and has a orange 340 dual snorkel air breather. The heads have no letters stamped between the spark plugs. Could this be a factory 275 horsepower 1973 dart sport???

If the vin matches the numbers on the block and the fender tag codes it as a 340 then it is a 340 car
It would have had a single snorkel from the factory and the motor should be blue so It has been at least repainted if not rebuilt
Got any pics of the car?

Recently purchased a 1973 dart sport 340. The fender tag date code reads 930 (assuming 9/30/72). The block numbers match the VIN. The engine has a casting date that reads 1/19/71. The engine appears like its never been apart and is orange and has a orange 340 dual snorkel air breather. The heads have no letters stamped between the spark plugs. Could this be a factory 275 horsepower 1973 dart sport???

I see what you're driving at here...could be an interesting specimen.

Agree with 3rdstmk on needing pictures.

Could this be a factory 275 horsepower 1973 dart sport???

No, because they didn't make any. If it's a 71 engine, it's a transplant or a VERY early casting.......The engine is a 240 HP.

Look at the front of the block, just below drivers side head. There should be some number/letters stamped there.

Just because the block was cast in 1971, doesn't make it an early build engine.

Look at the front of the block, just below drivers side head. There should be some number/letters stamped there.

Just because the block was cast in 1971, doesn't make it an early build engine.

Exactly, I had a cast date 1971 340 block but when I checked the numbers n the front of the block it was built in 1973.

The difference in the engines are compression and valve size along with the emissions devices that were added on in the span of two years. It should have the same cam as all 340's (minus the early manual trans cam) received the same cam.

If you ever get to take the heads off, note where they sit in the hole and the style of slug it is.

Cast or forged crank? Can tell by the balancer. Never seen a car with engine cast so much earlier than the vehicle production date. Are you sure that 1 is not a deformed 2? Most #s cars I have seen the engine was cast 2-4 mo. before production date. Not a yr and 8 mo. Engine should be blue 240 HP, (originally) and duel snorkle is something someone added. Pull valve covers. Should be 587 1.88 heads

Cast or forged crank? Can tell by the balancer. Never seen a car with engine cast so much earlier than the vehicle production date. Are you sure that 1 is not a deformed 2? Most #s cars I have seen the engine was cast 2-4 mo. before production date. Not a yr and 8 mo. Engine should be blue 240 HP, (originally) and duel snorkle is something someone added. Pull valve covers. Should be 587 1.88 heads

I hadn't either till I owned one. It was cast in 71 but the build numbers on the front of the block put it built in 1973. It had spool mounts and a cast crank.

I hadn't either till I owned one. It was cast in 71 but the build numbers on the front of the block put it built in 1973. It had spool mounts and a cast crank.

That is odd. Never seen or heard of it. Did they stash some of the 71 blocks for whatever reason and then use them up in the last of the 340 cars?

That is odd. Never seen or heard of it. Did they stash some of the 71 blocks for whatever reason and then use them up in the last of the 340 cars?

That I can't answer, I sold the block on E bay many years ago and i can't remember where I got it from. But some where at home I still have all the numbers and exact casting date. I'll have to see if I can find them.

The 1/19/71 casting date and matching VIN are clear as day, but it has a cast crank balancer so its 240HP motor, so much for my hopes & dreams. Thanks for the info.

The 1/19/71 casting date and matching VIN are clear as day, but it has a cast crank balancer so its 240HP motor, so much for my hopes & dreams. Thanks for the info.

If you don't want the POS, give it to me, I'll appreciate it. To me, a 340 is a 340 is a 340. ALL of them were HP engines. Every single one. Is yours a "high horsepower" version? Not in comparison, but it IS an HP engine. That "cast crank" will take 500 plus horsepower. It's a super cool car. Be glad you got it and enjoy it for what it is.

Hey just do something with the cam/heads/intake and you'll have way better than the 275HP engine anyway ;)

I guess it was selfish of me to hope for an extra 35 free ponies from the factory. Maybe one day I will be able to afford to buy some more. SORRY DAD

pull the plugs and see if you can read any #s on top of the pistons. If it was rebuilt you might have the old TRW L2316F forged pistons with the machined detonation button in the middle.

-
Back