1973 Dart Swinger wipers

-

Caberocks

Reaction score
I have read through the forum and found a few tips, but still stumped on connecting the wipers on my car. Do I need both the plastic bushing and the metal clip? The one that's detached is going from drivers side to the motor. I assume the slightly bent part of the bar goes to the wiper and the larger flat side goes to the motor? Any help would be appreciated. Heck I'm not even really sure which way to put the plastic bushing in (from which side). It doesn't help either that it's 100 degrees inside of the car either today. Thanks in advance for any help!
I'm also thinking after much cussing, once I figure it out, I should replace all of the connections. The cluster, radio and glove box are out of the car at least.

wipers2.jpg

wipers1.jpg

This is located under the dash right?

I did this a few years ago when mine fell in the floor. All i did was buy the nylon bushing replacement parts at autozone and dont remember any metal clip at all.

I did put it in backwards and had to pop the bushings out and switch them around.

I cant remember if i was able to youtube how to set it up or just do trial and error.

I have seen that clip before but don't remember it on the wipers. Just lube the nylon bushings and they snap into place. It is a pain in the a$$ for sure.

I figured out how it goes by using the picture here:
Mopar 2 Speed Wiper Arm Motor Transmission Linkage Assembly A Body 1973-76 Dart | eBay
You can zoom in pretty close on the picture there.

Some advice for others, I bought some bushings on Ebay and couldn't get them to work no matter what I did, even tried boiling them. It's like they were a tiny bit too big. Then I went to Autozone and bought an assortment pack and the ones in that pack popped right on. Lol, now I gotta lay in the car and try and pop it back into place, but I have some lithium grease and channel locks. It's certainly a learning process. Hope this helps someone else!

The metal clip is usually on the wiper motor but I dont think the later cars used it.

I figured out how it goes by using the picture here:
Mopar 2 Speed Wiper Arm Motor Transmission Linkage Assembly A Body 1973-76 Dart | eBay
You can zoom in pretty close on the picture there.

Some advice for others, I bought some bushings on Ebay and couldn't get them to work no matter what I did, even tried boiling them. It's like they were a tiny bit too big. Then I went to Autozone and bought an assortment pack and the ones in that pack popped right on. Lol, now I gotta lay in the car and try and pop it back into place, but I have some lithium grease and channel locks. It's certainly a learning process. Hope this helps someone else!
Yea the autozone assirtment pack is what i used. I also lubed mine even though supposedly you dont have to.

Is it really hard to remove the whole contraption and fix outside the car?

It's not that hard to do in the car with the channel locks, and the older cars used the metal clip on the motor to arm connection.
Yours should all be the nylon type.

I did mine with everything under the dash in place, and one tip I can give you is to put a pin hole in the back of them so they don't pop back off once you squeeze them on.
If you lube them it helps to have a place for the trapped air to get out.

Autozone help wall had them as mentioned.

It's not that hard to do in the car with the channel locks, and the older cars used the metal clip on the motor to arm connection.
Yours should all be the nylon type.

I did mine with everything under the dash in place, and one tip I can give you is to put a pin hole in the back of them so they don't pop back off once you squeeze them on.
If you lube them it helps to have a place for the trapped air to get out.

Autozone help wall had them as mentioned.
Wish id thought of the pin hole!

I didnt have any problems though but that sounds like a good idea!

I did this job last summer on my 73. Just nylon clip/bushings. The bushing press fit on the motor arm stud that has a chamfered snout. From the pass side I used 2 extensions to press it on through the removed glove box.. I thought I had it a couple of times, but noooo, it will sorta snap in place then you will know it's on there.

-
Back