1973 Dodge dart Bbp wheels and discs on a 1969 Barracuda

-

16richard

Reaction score
I acquired a 1969 barracuda that has 1973 dart disc brakes on 15 inch rims with p215 R15 95h tires . Everthing functions well until you make a TURN AND THE WHEELS TOUCH THE FENDERS. It is only contacting the front part of the fender I suspect I will have to roll the fenders back or buy low profile or narrow tires to make it safe . I would expect this problem has been encountered by many before me . I am looking to spend very little without butchering the fenders much if possible. Any ideas or direction to a thread much appreciated .
Thanks .

I acquired a 1969 barracuda that has 1973 dart disc brakes on 15 inch rims with p215 R15 95h tires . Everthing functions well until you make a TURN AND THE WHEELS TOUCH THE FENDERS. It is only contacting the front part of the fender I suspect I will have to roll the fenders back or buy low profile or narrow tires to make it safe . I would expect this problem has been encountered by many before me . I am looking to spend very little without butchering the fenders much if possible. Any ideas or direction to a thread much appreciated .
Thanks .
Just got my answer tires are to big I will take this post down if I can.

1.) Are the fender braces present? (They go from bottom of fender to bumper bracket). If they are, you could extend them a bit if the rubbing is minimal. If they aren't, get or make some.
OIP.ks9pI5mw9l55hJkHiWSClQHaEd?w=303&h=180&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.1&pid=1.jpg

2.) What is the rim width and backspacing on your front wheels?
3.) How high/low do you have the torsion bars set?

Depending on the actual tire size (you forgot the series- P215 *75/70/65/60/55/etc.* R15 95H) those tires should fit no problem with a correctly sized and backspaced rim.

1.) Are the fender braces present? (They go from bottom of fender to bumper bracket). If they are, you could extend them a bit if the rubbing is minimal. If they aren't, get or make some.
View attachment 1715729064

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention that.

View attachment 1715729064

1. There are no fender braces present . They are not factory on 69 barracudas as far as I know however I will try to make some .

2. Currently don't have rim width specs but the tire is 9 inches wide which I beleive is the source of the problem.

3. Torsion bars were adjusted at various hights without any effect.
Fender braces or narrow wheels should fix it . Will try braces first then narrower wheels .

I will let you know how it goes in the next few days.
If the fender braces work its a good thing I was unable to take the post down.
Many Thanks

My second gen Barracuda will accept a tire up to 25 inches tall and up to a 235 on a properly back-spaced 7.75" wheel, (what I have lol), into the stock wheelhouses even lowered with the K at 5.5" off the deck.

After that it gets a lil dicey.

A 245/50-15, on an 8 is guaranteed to nik the front corner on the fender and rub the frame at full lock, on the backside. No matter how perfect the backspace .

You can put an 8x15" steel wheel on the front, but you will have a dickens of a time centering it on the scrub radius, and so no matter how you align it, she will want to climb up out of ruts on an asphalt road, and feels like a constant tugging or wander. Furthermore, if you do get it centered, it will rub on the upper BJ at or before full droop, and the BJ will tear off your crimped-on wheelweights. And yes, it will rub on the strutrod before it reaches full lock.

In other words, after much trying I got a 245/50-15 on a steel wheel, to work. But I had to trim the fender corners, shave the upper BJs in just the right places, use stick-on weights,shim the spiders just a hair, and reset the camber several times. And I could not cure the tendency to "wander". Those tires were 24.6 tall..
Now,
a 235/60-14 is 25.1 tall and fits just fine on a 7.5" aluminum wheel with no mods required. IIRC my backspace is 3.75.

The point is this;
Those late-model brakes, push the wheels out just a lil further, and
your 215s could be nearly 28 inches tall depending on the aspect ratio,
and your wheel could have a reverse offset, we don't know.
So before you get your knickers in a bunch, lets get that sorted.

The tires measure 25.5 inches diameter (I am working without a accurate caliper ). Here is a pic of the wheels . I have no information on the manufacture other than they came with plastic hub covers that said "ULTRA". The aluminium rims appear to be 7inches wide . The picture shows where the fender touches which I thought was my only problem however as you describe it that is not the only issue. WOW Thanks

16195517921372002197131.jpg

Put the car on the floor, pump up ALL tires to 29psi, then roll the car back about 4 ft and ahead back to the starting position. Or forward then back, it makes no difference, I just want the suspension to equalize. Then;
Measure from the lowest part of the center of the K to the floor.
Also measure from the LBJ to the floor (ignore the grease-fitting)
and from the lowest part of the front T-bar socket inside the LCA, to the floor.
Then with the wheels pointing straight ahead, NOT the steering wheel, measure the track ;
which is from the center of the center tread on one side of the car to the same on the other side; measure both on the front side and on the rear side, AND as high up as you can and still have the tape stretched tight. Do not push or pull the wheels before,during or after the measuring.
After this is done;
Take off the wheel assembly and measure the backspace, which is from the mounting surface to the plane of the inboardmost rim face. NOT tire sidewall bulge. If you can , find the rim width stamped/cast into the aluminum, on the inside of the rim somewhere, often inside a spoke or on the outer ring. If you can't find it then try to measure the frontspace which is from the mounting surface to the plane of the outboardmost part of the rim. The goal here is to determine the rim width and the position of the spider in it.
Finally;
Run a non-stretchy cord, flexible tape, or other flat band around the center tread of the tire and report the measurement; from that I can calculate the exact tire diameter.

IIRC, the late model rotors are only about 3/8 further outboard.

What all the measuring will show, IMO, is that the front ride height is set too high, and the track-width is too wide. Even if you could align it like that, it won't steer worthchit cuz the scrub radius is outside it's operating window.
I believe you will need different wheels, to put the tire INTO the housing, and to lower the rideheight, to put the wheel higher UP inside it, so that the fender lip comes well below the center of the wheel. And you may still have to trim that corner.
With those wheels, you should not have any rubbing on the frame nor the strutrods, nor Upper BJs; the tires are just too far outboard. The wheel appears to be the correct width for the tires, which with a 215 would be right around 7inches.
For minor cases of interference you might be able to modify your fender-stay to push that corner out further, but in your case, the situation is way past minor. And what can happen with rubber strutrod bushings is that when traveling in reverse,turning,and then hitting the brake, this action can still drive the tire into the corner . And now the tire is turning into the corner and it likes to fold it up. This happens because the rubber strutrod bushing is flexible enough to allow it. So you, with the current wheels, would have to allow for that so the trimmed corners don't cut your tires. Furthermore, just because you got clearance at rest does not mean that there will still be clearance as the suspension cycles up and down. The best solution is to move the wheel assemblies into and up, inside the wheelhousings.

Last edited:
Hello AJforms
I just finished roughly rolling over about 3/4 inch of fender (photo) and I believe I acheived clearance however proper alignment if possible and different wheels to get tires into the housing will have wait for another day . These are my worst fenders so it didn't hurt to much. At least now I can move it or sell it with some degree of safety involved . I see you have formula s car clone?. This car is or once was a formula s one however it was 340 auto. Coupe Red with some type of vinal roof.
Many Thanks for all the info.

20210427_144900.jpg

-
Back