1973 dodge dart distributor problems

-

gavins1daddy

Reaction score
I have a 73 dart that has a 318. I cant seem to get power to the distributor. When I put a test light to the plug for the distributor I get no power but for some reason I get a static noise. I have replaced the ignition control module, ballistor resistor. I have traced the wires back to the ignition control module to see if there was a break in the wires but they were fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

The 2 wire plug is the signal from the pick up in the distributor. There shouldn't be power there.

I'm not good at all this electrical stuff but doesn't the distributor need power?

No. The magnetic trigger generates an electrical pulse every time a reluctor vane passes by it(within a given distance ranging from zero to about 20 thousands of an inch; the spec being about 8 to 11 thou). It sends the pulse to the ECU which cleans it up and translates it into a different electrical signal which the coil understands and in response,fires off a high voltage pulse to the sparkplug.
You dont say it but Ima guessing the engine wont start?

to test the reluctor wires. get an anlog meter. set it on the lowest A / C setting. put the meter probes in the two wires from the dist. when the dist is spun you will get needle movement if the retuctor is good.

Thats right, an analog meter set to A/C volts.A digital wont catch it unless it has a peak-hold feature. The output may probably peak at something like 1/2 to 2 voltsA/C; Ima guessing.

I ended up figuring it out. Another problem I'm having is timing it. There are 3-4 dashes on the harmonic balancer. How am I supposed to know which one to use?

-
Back