1973 dodge dart sheet metal question

-

moparraceman

Reaction score
bought a 73 duster roller, was a race car, the fiber glass hood blew off at the drag strip ,making it un repair able. got another steel hood pretty nice ,has some light surface rust underneath ,have a guy who will blast them and prime them for me ,also trunk lid underneath is still old color of blue ,could i get them both blasted ,would that hurt anything ? would save alot of time thanks

Biggest issue with blasting the underside of the hood and trunk lid is getting all the used media out of the bracing/webbing... no matter how clean you think you got it, some leftovers inevitably blow out when you prime & paint. Take your time cleaning them up, get in there with a blow gun and extension, and then do it again. And again...
And before you blast them, take pics and/or make note of where and how much adhesive was used on the bracing so you can re-caulk it later.

They must use the correct media for blasting. If they use sand, you are almost sure to have damage.
Do some research on media blasting. I have no personal experience, but I have read about soda blasting, walnut shells, I think even dry ice.

Don't use walnut shells. The paint won't stick afterward. If you are in a town with an acid dipper, that's the safe way. Just make sure they neutralize the acid good. Bead blasting works good too, but, you have to be careful of warping the skin if not done correctly. A lot will depend on how bad the rust is.

You could also try using Evaporust, but, it might be a bit tough to do on something that big.

-
Back