1973 dodge dart sport dash lights

-

denied88

Reaction score
hey guys you have all been so helpful in helping me find all the parts i needed i figured i'd try to use the power of your brains to help me here too . i'm having trouble getting dash lights in my dart i have every other light working except them even the ashtray works but nothing in the dash cluster itself i've tried all i know like replacing the switch and bulbs but no luck its weird though i have one turnsignal indicator but nothing else any ideas would sure be appreciated

"Which" lamps are we talking about?

Illumination? This is a "trick" circuit

The headlight switch receives power from TWO sources. The one we need is from the tail lamp fuse, powers the tail, park, and illumination (dimmer controlled lamps.

From the light switch, power goes through the dimmer control, so it must be twisted to the left (bright). Power then LEAVES the dimmer control and travels (tan wire) to the small instrument fuse which is normally at one end of the fuse panel

Through that fuse, then out to all the dimmer controlled lamps on oragne wiring.

So turn on the park lights and take your meter/ test lamp. Turn the dimmer control all the way to the left, check that the park/ tail lamps work.

Now take your meter / lamp and find the inst. (instrument) fuse. You should have power on both ends of that lamp.

YOU WILL NOT have power on that lamp if......

The tail power circuit is bad feeding to the light switch

The tail fuse is bad

something wrong in the headlight switch

the dimmer control is bad or twisted to the right (dim)

or the light switch is "OFF"

i've tried the dimmer and it doesnt make any difference in the lights but when you put the test light on the power out from the switch it dims just like it should i'm wondering if the board on the back of the cluster is just bad i have all the lights everywhere else all the parking and turnsignals work it just only lights up one turnsignal on the dash and its very slow maybe a bad ground or something i bought this car in a box and i'm not real sure if there is a secondary ground that goes to the gauge cluster or what is going on i have power in and out on every fuse as well

-
Back