1973 Doge Dart Resto' Project

-

73dartswingerfied

Reaction score
Well here's the deal, I'm finally getting around to beginning to restore my '73 swinger. Basically this thread is to share my progress and ideas with y'all good men, with the hopes of learning, getting inspired, and inspiring a lot. Ill try to include both picture and video as often has possible to assist in accomplishing this objective. Forgive if i sometimes come across a little naive, thats because i am...as it relates to restoring vehicles. But one thing for sure is Im ready, willing, and vary will capable of learning. So lets kick it off...

Just to give a little history of the car...I brought it in 2012 for 2k from a young lady out of Manassas VA, who said it was her dads car who had since passed. She mention its was a Texas car and that she'd previously drove it from there with no major problems. The car is originally a /6, but her dad replace it with a 318ci that came from an Dodge van. She also mentioned the motor had somewhere around 40k mile on it, which i figured was good. The car showed a little surface rust in some spots (which the photos show). Someone primed a few spots, but it looks like original paint. No dents or dings on body. Interior needs to be restored as there are rips and some foam missing in spots.

I brought the car...drove it to Washington DC, but not before it mysteriously cut off before i hit the highway and had me briefly stranded before it mysteriously restarted. I later learn from FABO about the notorious HEI issue which i think cost the break down. The car sat in my back yard for a few months before i mad the terrible mistake of letting a backyard mechanic work on the car. The rest is history... the car is back home with me needing some TLC...

OK so here's the deal, the 318ci is said to be a good strong motor...i personally don't get that rush when i mash the gas that i expect from a muscle car, so im thinking of replacing it with a 360ci motor, mild cam, Holley 650cfm carb' ,727 trans', and 8 3/4 rear. What you guys think? Do think it'll be more cost effective to jus beef up the 318ci or to go with the 360 swap? Ive priced an used 74' 360ci motor block (needs assembly), used 727 rebuilt trans and used Holley 650cfm carb' all for $750. Keep in mind the car will be driven regular, so im need good gas mileage, but im willing to sacrifice a little at the pump for performance. So what yall think?

Also what are the typical stages of restoration? I wanna strip the car completely,strip the paint completely off to bare metal, and send it off to have rust and any body repairs done, plus primed. The time spent at the body shop shall offer me the opportunity to have the engine rebuilt. After getting the car back i planned on installing the engine and all, do some steering and suspension up-grades, then get it painted and last completely redo the inertia.

So far i would like you guys input on the motor swap idea. What yall think is best? beefed up 318 or 360? I supposed to purchase the engine, trans, and all tomorrow. Need help ASAP THANKS

Attachments

• 20130305_102450-1.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 122
  • 20130305_102532_HDR-1.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 20130305_102551_HDR-2.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 121
  • 20130305_102606_HDR-1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 20130305_102615_HDR.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 20130305_102638_HDR.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 118
  • enaf.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 148
  • IMAG0357.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 119
  • both.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 130
If that 318 doesn't smoke or knock, I would leave the shortblock alone and just upgrade the top end.
Find a set of "302" casting number heads, a cam that's close to the 68 340 Stick Shift one, an Edelbrock Performer manifold and a 600 CFM carb. Have someone who knows distributors set yours up so that you've got 36 degrees in by 1800 rpm or so. All that with a good exhaust...stock manifolds with either a 2.25 duals, or a 2.5 inch single and you'll get that musclecar rush and still get 20+ MPG.
I've got a lot of parts or that car, hit me up if you need anything.

If that 318 doesn't smoke or knock, I would leave the shortblock alone and just upgrade the top end.
Find a set of "302" casting number heads, a cam that's close to the 68 340 Stick Shift one, an Edelbrock Performer manifold and a 600 CFM carb. Have someone who knows distributors set yours up so that you've got 36 degrees in by 1800 rpm or so. All that with a good exhaust...stock manifolds with either a 2.25 duals, or a 2.5 inch single and you'll get that musclecar rush and still get 20+ MPG.
I've got a lot of parts or that car, hit me up if you need anything.

Thanks for the advice. So what exactly are "302" casting number heads?

-
Back