1973 Duster 9 inch brake upgrade questions

-

mar-tay1

Reaction score
I'm currently working on a 73 Duster 318, with 9 inch drums in the front and 10 inch drums in the rear. I'm figuring it didn't come that way ( should be 9 all around right?). So I'm good with the 10 inch rear, but trying to figure out what to do in the front. Now I've been looking at Scarebird and they don't seem to have anything for 73 up. Now it's 5 on 4 lug pattern and I like to keep it that way, but what low cost options do I have for a disc set up that is still 5 on 4? With the big ball joint

I don't think the 73+ drum brake parts changed from 1972, which is why you still have 5x4" bolt pattern. Probably the same spindle, which is what the Scarebird kit cares about. I even doubt you have the big upper ball joint, though shouldn't matter. People here say the factory just kept using 72- parts until they ran out of front drum parts.

That's the info I was looking for , thanks! I was scratching my head on that. I have two cars here, a 1971 Demon and a 1973 ( 8-72) duster,Dmon has 10 inch front 10 inch rear. Duster has 9 inch front and 10 rear. The upper ball joint looks significantly larger on the taper part of the shaft and the nut is much larger than the 71 as well. In any event I'll give screbird a call and see wht they think, that would work. Thanks!

If the upper ball joint's flats are wider, then it is the bigger one. Seach for the special socket and they give the 2 sizes to compare. Perhaps the factory started putting the 1973 upper control arm in drum cars and machined the holes in old stock 9" drum spindles to match. A prior owner might have done so also, though machining a tapered hole is not simple. Someone with a 1973 9" drum car may chime in. Many confusing things were done during transition years to use up old parts. Best guess on the 10" rear drums is that someone swapped out the whole axle.

-
Back