1973 Duster cowl and Hood pinstripes - Scoop?

-

RGAZ

Diehard
Reaction score
Guys,

I stumbled across this decal and hood pinstripe kit at Classic (Ma1180).

And in the picture it appears there are two scoops within the decal. Their position seems odd. Can anyone give me details on these scoops? Are they Dart scoops placed closer to the cowl? Functional (doubt it)? IF I was going to reproduce this "look" on my 73, what would be the best way to meet this style? Could this be in a body manual somewhere with the exact placement? I could only find one picture on the web of this exact setup, so maybe this is just super-rare?

I'll take an 411 I can get.

Thanks
RGAZ

Never seen that setup before. Personally I don't care for it....especially the placement of the scoops.

It does seem odd. I discovered they are the same as the 69 cuda scoop. Aftermarket has them as non-functional. Only on 73-74 Duster Twister and pretty rare. Most people say they look wrong. Some old posts claim they were functional but from what I see its only if the owner made them that way. What I was hoping to find was details on where they are on the car. Most pictures are hard to tell. I guess for the rarity it probably doesn't matter.

Agree, those are 73 Twister scoops.

Also agree- same parts used on 69 Cuda.

...and agree the look doesn't quite work.

Last edited:
I've never seen that look; those scoops and stripes don't flow for me. I could see the reverse with a center stripe factory Dart/Duster, Six Pac, T/A scoop.

Last edited:
1699300775414.png

Looks a little better from that angle.

Not sure why they didn't just use the already in production and nicely executed Demon/Dart Sport scoop.

It works well as a fresh air scoop and also works well with the lines of the car.

Yes same Scoops as 69 Cuda I had a chance to get a 73 twister 318 3 speed in the floor wish I did it was petty blue with scoops

Awesome! Thanks for the locations. Just for fun I used some Vinyl peel-off black paint to get a feel for how it looks. Keep in mind that this is just a temporary trial for general look before I paint it in (the pinstripes on the inside peeled off easily). I think I like it, but it needs the Dodge scoops I think.

Before and After.....

Before stripes.jpg

After stripes.jpg

RGAZ

The Super Bee - R/T - Swinger 340 scoops never look right on post 72 Dusters to me..

The Demon/Dart Sport 340/360 scoop however, looks like it's supposed to be there.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but 71 and 72 Duster Twisters the Scoops look right at home with the strobe striping in the center they looked actually better than the 340 cars...but in 73 the little short leftover Cuda scoops are not too easy on the eyes

I'm sorry but 71 and 72 Duster Twisters the Scoops look right at home with the strobe striping in the center they looked actually better than the 340 cars...but in 73 the little short leftover Cuda scoops are not too easy on the eyes
The Demon/Dart Sport 340/360 scoop however, looks like it's supposed to be there.

...but those are on a 70-72 hood.

..and I am going to see what it looks like on my hood. Spaced further apart and possible back a bit more. I want to see what that looks like.

Stay tuned. (I have to find some reasonably priced and not true resto quality)

RGAZ

Awesome! Thanks for the locations. Just for fun I used some Vinyl peel-off black paint to get a feel for how it looks. Keep in mind that this is just a temporary trial for general look before I paint it in (the pinstripes on the inside peeled off easily). I think I like it, but it needs the Dodge scoops I think.

Before and After.....

View attachment 1716166095

View attachment 1716166094

RGAZ
Looks similar to the 69 Plymouth b body stripes on the GTX and Roadrunner. Looks good.

-
Back