1973 Duster front tires rub

-

madhatta360

1973 Duster 340 H-code TX9
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Sup doods,

Ran into a jam here and found like 500000+ tire sizes that “work” for A body as you know there is so many things that “fit”

Looking for some feedback from folks with 70-76 dusters- I bought American Racing Classic Torque Thrusts staggered 15x7 fronts 3.75” BS with 215/65/15 Cooper Cobra and 15x8 rear 4.5” BS 275/60/15 Rears. Rears just rubbed leaf’s and used 1/4” spacer worked great.

My issue is front, turn the wheel slightly and tires hitting the bottom lip of fenders. Any suggestions to fit these or do I need to look at a different tire, problem I’m seeing is Coopers have **** offering for sizes vs BFG have a lot more tire options.

Any feedback or suggestions would be great. Not interested in cutting or rolling fenders- also thinking about messing with torsion bars.

Kevin

You didn't say it but you probably have disc brakes. The track is wider.
Aftermarket sized wheel and larger tire = rub. Been that way since the cars were new.
Smaller diameter tire and /or narrower rim. More backspace. Normally came with a 4 -1/2" wide 14" diameter rim.

All | Wheel Measure Guide

You didn't say it but you probably have disc brakes. The track is wider.
Aftermarket sized wheel and larger tire = rub. Been that way since the cars were new.
Smaller diameter tire and /or narrower rim. More backspace. Normally came with a 4 -1/2" wide 14" diameter rim.

All | Wheel Measure Guide
Yeah factory disc, AR literally has one backspace so that’s what sucks. If I had 4” I’d be good, gonna mess with torsion bars tomorrow to see if I can clear fender lip in front YOLO!

A 15x7” with BBP disks needs about 4.25” of backspace to clear that tire. Even then, a 215/65/15” is 26” tall which is pretty much the upper limit for height in the front for a tire that width. Obviously there’s a little give and take considering the body tolerances on these cars.

Ride height may help the clearance some but raising the car will change your alignment and hurt handling.

Better to get wheels that fit to start with.

Research before you spend.
Rob, I was making ok cash, when the Prior Administration was in charge, BUT, IF I told You I crawled under that car with a 2' level, a Framing Square, and a Tape 10 times? I'd Be Lying! I'm worse than that. But my tires fit! I only had to take the front back! Boy, YOU try that at Pep Boys! that takes some doing now... and no I didn't know anyone there.... is it possible OPs ride height aint adjusted correctly?

-
Back