1973 duster window roller install?

-

mopardart44067

Reaction score
Ok so I got a set of new window roller bishings.well the old ones popped onto the ballpoint deal.the new ones 6 with short push in type things in them.and 4 with l9nger threaded ends.thos is confusing to be because all my old ones are broken.the ball type joint deals on window and regulator. I tried popping the hardware out of new ones but won't budge .I'm lost here.my windows are always down and this is my one and only daily driver.ive been asking for monthe s how to install them with no luck.help please.

20170615_153640.jpg

FB_IMG_1500766122932.jpg

You'll probably going to have to more pictures and explain in more detail as you go. It's hard to figure out exactly what your talking about.
What is the reason your trying to pop the hardware out of the new ones instead of using the new ones?

The best thing to do is to download the manual for your car or close to it, year wise. The fine people here on this forum have it and it is FREE. By the picture I can not tell how much you have the window assembly removed, The widow regulator must be completely unbolted from the door, then it slides one direction or the other to be removed from the lower window track. You may have to loosen or remove the window tracks the ones that hold the glass vertical. You may have to lift the glass a little and at the same time use your window crank to help facilitate the regulator from one of the holes in the door panel. This is now the time to check the window channel whiskers for replacement if needed, the window will not adjust properly with worn or damage weather stripping. Clean and lub all sliders and the widow regulator, I used white grease, use what you want. Do one door at time, this way you have another door to look at putting the door/window together again. Make sure you use the correct bolts were need be or your window may not crank up, and it may pop the glass. Adjustment is trail and error, once you do one, the others will be easier. And never slam the door shut until you know all is well with the adjustments. I hope this helps some.

You can take a small punch and remove the old ones from the bracket that attaches to the glass. Just have to be careful so you don't break the glass.

Then I used channel lock pliers to gently squeeze them back in.

I had my glass completely removed from the car while doing this.

Not sure if that's what your asking or not.

I didn't think I had to remove old hardware on window and regulator.and the 6 of them I'm assuming they go on regulator because there are 6 needed for them.but the new ones are made for my car but the pin hole on regulator is bigger then pins on rollers.and the hardware on glass part would have to unscrew to work.the kit I bought is same everywhere.

This is the only old one left.too me i thought new ones would just pop on.didnt know I had to remove and fab stuff up.

20170615_153739.jpg

I've had earlier 72 hardware wouldn't work returned it.got 73-76 hardware it's not gonna work either.theres no way.now I know why old owner wanted to buy different doors.this is stupid.shouldnt be a pain like it is.

This sucks because windows are stuck down untill I find good used doors or hardware.regulators.if I can find lexan windows I'm going to buy them.

Could you use a metal filler product to fill th hole in and redrill it?

I know this is an old thread, and don't know if you found a solution or not. But just wanted to chime in here that, those ball studs are all swaged in. So, the end will be larger than the actual hole. However, they don't just push in, you'll have to peen the end over, or swage the end of the new ones. I f they aren't really snug against the bracket, it'll become a wear point and eventually the studs might come out of the hole. The others with the threaded studs, you'll have to be mindful of what is behind, or comes close to behind the brackets. Use spacers to get the roller into the proper position from the bracket but, as I mentioned, make sure and check the clearance for the nut on the back of the bracket. I think the brackets at the rear of the windows shouldn't be much of a problem, but the bracket at the front of the windows is articulated, so make sure and check clearance through it's range of movement.

My recollection from working on mid-late 60s and early 70s Mopars back in the late 70s and early 80s was that there was a service part for those rollers. It was just the plastic roller, and they snapped onto the existing ball stud. And as I recall, yeah, it took a bit of force to get them on. My recollection was that I'd put the roller into the track, and then use a large pair of channel lock pliers to pop the ball stud into the roller. Now it's been years since I've used one, and I could be wrong. It may have not been a Mopar thing, but, the vast majority of vehicles I had then were Mopars. Can't imagine anything else. Does anyone else remember doing this???

Karl M.

I lost my password for that account it was a ***** but not all that bad they are still holding up great and it’s a daily driver

-
Back