1974 360-powered Models

-

LH23H2R

Reaction score
Since the '75 / '76 360 "A" thread I've started is so popular , and since a fellow member inquired about the 1974 360 models , I decided to start a thread that's dedicated to the 1974 models .

1974 Dart , Dart Sport , Duster , Valiant and Scamp .
Lots of changes , even over its 1973 predecessor :

- 5 MPH impact rear bumper standards
- Smaller-width bumper guards were phased-in
- OSAC valve moved to air cleaner base
- "Uni-Belt" seat belts
- Seat Belt Interlock ( :angry7: ) with its override button under the hood
- 1974-only positive battery cable , as a result of the aforementioned seat belt arrangement
- 360 replaces 340
- Last year for a 4 speed behind a performance motor
- Last year for all models to run on leaded gas
- Disc brakes standard with 318 ( delete option )
- Power-assist disc brakes standard on 360 models

With the 340 being emasculated ( first smaller intake valves , then a shitty cast crank ) , and more and more smog junk being added , the 360 was the natural choice .

Introduced for 1971 in 2 Bbl only form , and only in "C" Bodies , the long-stroke 360 was a torque monster , having a longer stroke than the B-Motors .
For 1974 , the performance goodies from the 340 were tacked onto the formerly lo-po 360 ; mostly , the cam and induction , as the heads already were shared with the 340 .

The dreaded "Uni-Belt" was a (surprise!) government mandate , as was that (stupid) Interlock setup , wherein the car could not be started if the driver's seat belt wasn't fastened .
Under the hood , on the left-side shear panel ( i.e. , inner fender ) , was an override setup : pop the hood , press the red override button , and fire the car off without wrestling with those uncomfortable , pain-in-the-*** seat belts .

With the fuel crisis in full-swing within the first month of the then-new 1974 models ( the oil cutoff occurred on 21st Octobre 1973 ) , and with the insurance companies penalising any car that had more than a tiny V8 in them , 1974 would prove to be a poor year for performance models; the Duster 360 and Dart Sport 360 would be no exception .

In a case of irony , 1974 would prove to be the best year for "A" Body sales , exceeding even earlier years' sales .
After '74 , sales would fall off monumentally .

Please , share your projects , stories , info , etc. , about these special models 8) .

I have one of these, it a parts car for my other one (1970)

I have one also, but mine isn't a parts car. 1 of 586 (according to the little white books) 360 4 speed cars.

I'd rather have the 1 piece belts than the stupid 2 piece ones on the 68 thru 73s.

Good deal !
Got any pics ?

In the yard where I found it:

X3e_3CEF4101.jpg

X3e_3CEF4103.jpg

X3e_3CEF4102.jpg

When I got it back (sold it to a buddy, who then traded it back to me for the '48 Plymouth I was working on):

Duster019.jpg

Duster016.jpg

Duster020.jpg

Not much to look at really. Working on putting SMPI on it right now, so it wont look like that under the hood any longer.

1974 360 4 speed bench seat space duster.Power steering no AC and white interior.

Attachments

• 26736_1224991715073_1537431840_30476875_2291947_n.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 217
1974 360 4 speed bench seat space duster.

Sweet!

I'm not certain, but it I think mine would have looked identical to yours (minus the hood, spoiler and 360 callouts, and maybe the wheels). Not certain if the green would be the same, but I think it might. White top, white bench interior. But mine isn't a Space Duster, though. Does yours have AC or power steering? Mine has neither.

Need to check my fender tag to be certain, but by memory sure seems awful close.

Neat car!

My parts car has White interior (Bucket seats, Center Console (auto), fold down rear seat with access to the trunk), it also has a remote hood opener (open from inside of car), rear window defogger (new style embedded in the glass), oh yeah a factory sun roof car! Have I looked it up I think it was one of only 600 or so made, to bad the body and floor boards at shot. Oh well it will now live on in my 1970.
P.S. no parts are for sale on the car.

I'd rather have the 1 piece belts than the stupid 2 piece ones on the 68 thru 73s.
Really , I don't mind the '70 - '71 style ; it's those '72 - '73 versions that SUCK ! Those stupid 'rivet'-type connectors for the shoulder belts are absolute **** ! At least the '70 - '71 shoulder belts have locking clasps like the lap belts ; easier to adjust and engage / disengage .

I replaced those **** *** stock 2-piece , stiff-as-a-carcass belts in my driver '72 Coronet , with the one-piece , three-point setup from XV Motorsports :
100% stock mounting points and hardware , absolutely no drilling and fabricating bullshit , and are comfortable as hell .

I know this thread is old but I found it doing a search and wanted to make a comment about the "shitty cast crank" comment from the OP. Actually, the cranks that came out of 'mom' were actually quite good and were much better than anything from Gooberment Motors and Ford. Yeah, forged is better but just because it's made from cast doesn't mean it's junk. There are many grades of cast iron and mom used some of the better grades to make their cranks.

Awesome information...is there a '73 thread? :D

-
Back