1974 - 904 Transmission Reverse/Low Band - ???

-

gwmax65

Magnum V8 Mopar
Reaction score
So I'm getting my 904 Transmission rebuilt that came from a 1974 Plymouth Roadrunner 318. The problem is I can't seem to find the correct size of reverse/low band, the used one is currently bigger than what I'm used to seeing in other 904's, can someone pinpoint me in the right direction of where I can get the correct band? This transmission is going behind a 318 Magnum in my 1965 Plymouth Barracuda.

14614380_10210961478694543_479560149_o.jpg

14614475_10210961478094528_12716944_o.jpg

14572692_10210961478014526_574915639_o.jpg

That looks like the band used in 6cyl. and 273 cu.in V8 transmissions as it is only a single wrap band(used from 1960-2003).
All other 904 V8 applications used what is called a double wrap band(used from 1968 to 2003). The A500 transmission also used the same double wrap band.

Found and bought the band I needed from CRT, it's the 9042KS. Was kinda pissed off how much he charged me cause it wasn't what he stated over the phone, was supposed to be $45 flat, nothing on his site or from himself said otherwise, total came to $82. $16 shipping, $20 for core refund, glad it was just a one time deal, anyways, 904's rebuilt and debating on a stall converter.

If you do the math, cost of band, shipping charges, plus the core charge, it's just about right on. The only thing that would make me, like you, ticked off, is the core charge. If the band is a new one, NO CORE CHARGE, however, if it's been relined then I understand the charge for the core. What I don't get is the order person not telling you that the band is a relined unit. Shipping charges OK, as on a 45 buck sale, you can't as a supplier eat the shipping charges.
The company I worked for always explained to the customer exactly what he was getting and what the core charge if any, was going to be. All out of town customers expected to be charged for freight.
Bands for the HEMI & the solid 727 front band were always REBUILDABLE core in first. Very difficult to find, new ones not made, and our band re-liner down South said he never had those bands in stock, so, like our customers we had to send in rebuildable cores to relined.

Last edited:
V8 904 take a double wrap band...that is what i linked too...but you got one..LOL

I got 5 904s ...that i use and race...good luck...hope you got some tranny lube with it...lol

NOT the same band.
Hate to disagree with you, but according to my parts catalog, and looking at the W.I.T. Parts catalog, the 904 and the A500 do use the same double wrap band.
I had to use the catalogs, as it's been a while since I worked selling transmission parts and converters.
It appears that you live in UTAH, and I'm sure that there will be a TRANSTAR transmission parts warehouse there. Check with them.
Just did a quick search for you. Transtar has a warehouse in Salt Lake City.
I should point out that the bands sold by Transtar or like transmission parts suppliers are the same bands you'd buy from CRT. CRT doesn't make bands. They buy them from manufactuers like Raybestos or Borq Warner.

Last edited:
One is Kevlar, the other is Red Alto, not the same materials. Are either good?, comes down to preference and each builders track record with said band.

Hey Transman, I have a question on another subject if you could help shed some light I'd appreciate it much. I just found out I have another small block 318/225 slant six 904 high stall torque converter after searching up the written numbers & letters on the TQ -- It's the CR8H Torque Converter (non lock-up). I'm still learning about what high stall TQ's are all about. I'm wondering if you knew the exact stall rpm rating of this TQ, or a given range. Since this later 904 is finally rebuilt, I don't want to go with the stock TQ, one, it has a ton of junk inside (yes I know I can take it to get cleaned), two, I know there's a better TQ out there that'll help my Barracuda get up and go. My transmission guy recommended a 2400rpm stall converter for my setup, stock 318 Magnum (carbureted), 7 - 1/4" rear with 2.76 highway gears. He said run that 2400rpm stall TQ till my 7 - 1/4" rear breaks (lol). I know my rear end sucks and it probably won't be the best TQ to throw at until I throw an 8 - 3/4" rear in (which I have, think it has 3.23 gears). Just wondering if that CR8H high stall TQ I have is better than the stock 904 TQ, and if I should run it, or go with a different TQ. 27 Spline count is what my 904's input shaft is, same for the CR8H TQ.

The band in the first three pictures is the kickdown band, not the low/reverse band. I am rebuilding my '73 318 904 and my low/reverse band was fine and I thought most of the time they didn't even need replacing.

That cast kickdown band you have pictured though...keep that. They are getting scarce as I found out just now and the replacement flex bands are not near the quality. I think the factory cast kickdown bands have to be re-lined now.

Last edited:
Hey Transman, I have a question on another subject if you could help shed some light I'd appreciate it much. I just found out I have another small block 318/225 slant six 904 high stall torque converter after searching up the written numbers & letters on the TQ -- It's the CR8H Torque Converter (non lock-up). I'm still learning about what high stall TQ's are all about. I'm wondering if you knew the exact stall rpm rating of this TQ, or a given range. Since this later 904 is finally rebuilt, I don't want to go with the stock TQ, one, it has a ton of junk inside (yes I know I can take it to get cleaned), two, I know there's a better TQ out there that'll help my Barracuda get up and go. My transmission guy recommended a 2400rpm stall converter for my setup, stock 318 Magnum (carbureted), 7 - 1/4" rear with 2.76 highway gears. He said run that 2400rpm stall TQ till my 7 - 1/4" rear breaks (lol). I know my rear end sucks and it probably won't be the best TQ to throw at until I throw an 8 - 3/4" rear in (which I have, think it has 3.23 gears). Just wondering if that CR8H high stall TQ I have is better than the stock 904 TQ, and if I should run it, or go with a different TQ. 27 Spline count is what my 904's input shaft is, same for the CR8H TQ.

The CR8H converter is indeed a slightly higher stall converter than the CR8L low stall. Both converters will fit 225, 318 engines with the 904. The exact stall can be arguementive, but generally in the industry the low stall would typically be classed as 1600-1700 stall converter, and the high stall would be 300-400 rpm higher in stall. What I found out, the high stall usually was found behind 6 cylinder engines. In the rebuilding of stock converters, I knew of no converter shops that dyno'd stock converters. They typically are mass produced and to setup a dyno and actually test each one of them for stall would be very time consuming and expensive.
Most transmission shop guys know very little about high stall converters and how to apply them properly. This is not a knock against them, it's just usually performance is not what they do. That being said, there are exceptions to the rule and we have some transmission builders on this board that are knowledgeable in this area.
I think and I'm sure others agree, that until you've got that diff. problem solved, don't waste much time or money on a converter. Put the CR8H in it (it's just a rebuilt unit to factory specs) and go from there. Once you've got everything else sorted out and finalised, contact any of a number of HIGH STALL CONVERTER builders. Give them all the information on your engine etc. see what they say. You could p--s your dollars away on a high stall now only to find out that when you've got your other issues worked out, the converter is all wrong.
You should be able to get CR8H from Transtar in Salt Lake.

Last edited:
-
Back