1974 AMX Javelin

-
If you really want the thing, it doesn't matter what we or anybody else thinks. It's a cool car. If you can get it without puttin yourself in the poorhouse, go for it!
Not able to change the title. Wanted to share/add to the original post. The only issue I’m going to have is space. I have a heated 3 stall garage and I’ll be scraping my windshield all winter :lol:

View attachment 1715996734

I’m not sure how else I can hold the trans up. I could just take it out but I’m not sure I have the room in the pickup box.

Made it all the way from Kansas City to Bismarck. Now this is a Machine but I would think the same applies.

Wyatt's 2.jpg

Well, what was is it worth? :lol:

I can’t remember what I posted last week and you remembered what you posted 12 years ago.

Well, what was is it worth? :lol:

I can’t remember what I posted last week and you remembered what you posted 12 years ago.
We agreed on a price I can live with. Hoping everything goes smooth tomorrow. I'm terrible at remembering names but good with vehicle/number related stuff.

I would leave the trans as is and support from below. The strap will stretch some, so long as you have something to keep from overloading the fenders and denting/bending something, you should be fine.
Don forget you can load parts into the car too, not just the truck bed (assuming there's space inside it?)

While I agree the amc's are not as valuable as other brands that is at least a true amx and with what looks to be a pretty clean body. In case you didn't know an early b body 8 3/4 is a direct bolt in for a rear, its just an inch shorter which was perfect for lowering the car and tucking in the tires and wheels with those huge fenders. Love the car man.

What engine is that? 360? I'd be investigating the water pump and balancer interference. That leads me to think maybe the wrong balancer. Looks like a more solid project than you let on. I like it!

What engine is that? 360? I'd be investigating the water pump and balancer interference. That leads me to think maybe the wrong balancer. Looks like a more solid project than you let on. I like it!
IMG_6400.jpeg

Yep, it’s a 360. Evidently it’s a know issue with the aftermarket water pumps.

Jack let go on the cherry picker. Ran in the house for a minute and when I came back out the engine was sitting on the ground….. Harbor freight had one in stock!
Went to bolt on the flywheel and the weight was jammed against the torque convertor mounting pad (Hoping it didn’t hurt the trans). Had to back out all the trans bolts and clock the flexplate weight to the bottom (the trans was angled to the point of coming off the dowels). It cleared and I was able to clock the convertor so the holes lined up.

IMG_6586.jpeg

IMG_6589.jpeg

IMG_6590.jpeg

Nice work and great to see the kid involved.
I have two aluminum aftermarket water pumps and at least one factory cast iron pump for a jeep 360. Similar if not exactly the same. There's a reason I bought both pumps with clearly different castings. There's also a reason I've kept an original cast iron pump. Sometimes getting them rebuilt is the best route. A PIA for a run of the mill part, but thats the way it is.

There is a well respected AMC engine builder that posts occassional on the IFSJA forum and elsewhere. He seems knowledgable and experienced. I would turn to him on any engine questions.

-
Back