1974 Dart swinger 318 to 360 swap

-

swinger 74

Reaction score
Hi everyone my name is Andrew. Glad to be a new member :finga:. Im new to mopars so i need some help and tips. I bought myself a 74 Dart swinger with a 318. I found out the 318 has a blown headgasket or something. Water in the oil. Anyways i dont really want to mess with the 318. I can get a running 360 with transmission for cheap from a guy i know. $400 Its out of a 75 motorhome. I was wondering what exactly what i need to swap in that 360. Im gonna beef it up a lil first before i install it. Any help, tips, suggestions appreciated :cheers:

driver side motor mount is different on 360 but 318 mount can be shimmed or modified for use...

Most important issue is the externally balanced 360....you need the harmonic balancer off the 360...now you can use the 318 trans if you want..but need a B&M weighted flex plate...

or you can use the 727 from the motorhome assuming it has the correct tail shaft on it..it will have a weight converter for the externally balanced 360

look at the tail shaft of the 727 from motorhome....see if it has a normal tail shaft or has a big brake on the engine of it....I am will to be it is a normal 727

i don't think the 318 DS mount will work unless you weld on the top ear.

I did the same thing with my 74. Go check it out if you like. I used stock 318 mounts and honestly don't remember doing anything special. You bought a car that doesn't move....be sure you address brakes and suspension while you are contemplating motor. If it were me, I would use the 904, and everything above is good info. No driveshaft issues this way, although not the end of the world. The rear is an 8 1/4....if you are going nuts with motor then you must understand everything else has to be upgraded and this can be a viscous cycle. The stock 318 radiator would not cool my 360. More HP = more heat. As for the rest, just have fun. Drive it like you stole it. Be prepared for when you break them....I seem to be pretty good at that!

Thanks for all you reply's you guys are awesome cant wait to hear from and read more reply's from this forum. what kinda headers will work with this swap? can I use the torque converter for the 360 from the 727 trans with my 904 trans? also what year/model can I get a radiator from that will bolt in and cool that 360? radiators for these car new are kinda pricy. thanks again for the replys and cant wait to hear from more of you

sounds like a fun and challenging build - any manufacturers small block A body headers for a 74 Dart/Scamp should fit it - do your home work though - LOTS of opinions here as to which are the best - and welcome to the fray!

The 727 and 904 torque converter are NOT interchangeable...

the BEST way to is to use the B&M flexplate for the rear of the engine and not screw around with weights on the converter...

Welcome! Sounds like a great project, you will find lots of great advice and help on here...:coffee2:

Dave

thanks for everyones reply. Anyone else have any suggestion or opinions, anything. I bought the B&M flexplate to use with the 318 torque converter. I mtrying to figure out where to buy the oil pan and pick up.

thanks for everyones reply. Anyone else have any suggestion or opinions, anything. I bought the B&M flexplate to use with the 318 torque converter. I mtrying to figure out where to buy the oil pan and pick up.

Have you tried Mancini Racing or Summit Racing? I've gotten pick-up tubes from my local NAPA for around $20...

Also, here's a thread in the how-to section that can explain how to id the different oil pans:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=277430

-
Back