1974 Duster 225 OEM Alt

-
Reaction score
Hello all,

Alt on my 1974 duster took a crap. Looks like previous owner had a 60amp Alt in there. Looking to put in a replacement. Can i put in a 65 AMP Alt with no issues? (got this alt from Autozone.) Or what would be the best OEM alt i can put in? Have done no mods to car and car has AC. Will 65amp Alt be ok with standard wiring? Any recomendations?

Voltage Regulator also doesnt look too good. does the one below look correct?
VR733 - 1970-76 Mopar A, B & E-Body External Voltage Regulator

Any help appreciated thanks!

Hello all,

Alt on my 1974 duster took a crap. Looks like previous owner had a 60amp Alt in there. Looking to put in a replacement. Can i put in a 65 AMP Alt with no issues? (got this alt from Autozone.) Or what would be the best OEM alt i can put in? Have done no mods to car and car has AC. Will 65amp Alt be ok with standard wiring? Any recomendations?

Voltage Regulator also doesnt look too good. does the one below look correct?
VR733 - 1970-76 Mopar A, B & E-Body External Voltage Regulator

Any help appreciated thanks!
It should work fine as long as it is the same as the one that was on it. I see 60 and 100 amp alternators listed for that application. I don't know why they would have a 65 amp listed. That looks like the regulator you need but the number I find is a VR125.

It should work fine as long as it is the same as the one that was on it. I see 60 and 100 amp alternators listed for that application. I don't know why they would have a 65 amp listed. That looks like the regulator you need but the number I find is a VR125.
The one that was on it was a 60. And the replacement I got is a 65. I believe the oem was a 50amp? Not sure. Just want to make sure I won’t fry anything if I put in the 65 amp.

VR125 is correct for Standard brand. VR733 is a Wells/Autozone part number which will also fit.

Put a thousand amp alternator in it if you like. It's only going to put out what the regulator says.

-
Back