1974 Duster t-top conversion

-
Uh, OK.

Actually for the amount of work involved.....

You can import AU vehicles fairly reasonably sometimes.

...and I bet the movie car was simply cut out and never intended to have actual glass inserts and seals.

...and also wasn't required to survive any longer than the movie production schedule (or the final battle scene).

Also, they are rare but 1973-77 "colonnade" body gms had t tops as an available option.

A 73-74 cutlass might work for you.

Those don't look anything like a Holden Monaro.

If you can find an AU car that can be imported for a 'fairly reasonable' price, I'd like to hear about it.

No, the movie car did not have glass inserts or seals. I won't either.

I know it wasn't required to survive longer than filming required.

Last one I looked at was a 1990 ford ute.

Basically a fox boy mustang front clip.

Was "only" $2500 but shipping made it about $7500.

I consider that fairly reasonable for something you don't see over here.

Getting a little too combative in here for me.

T-tops done! I made my reinforcement/roll cage in two parts (left and right) out of 1 1/2 square tubing. I welded it together as much as I could before I put it in (not too easy welding inside the car) and completed the rest inside. The two halves are bolted together along the middle. Then I cut out the t-top portions. I also added on reinforcements so people could lean or sit on the roof without the sheet metal buckling.

ttop1.jpg

ttop2.jpg

Ya know....

I was ready to completely not like this project.

...but it actually does look like the movie car.

You could at least have put in a race legal cage in it instead of square tubing so it isn't so jank...

T tops IMO look good on a Vette or the Smokey Trans am...not many cars look good with them,the Early Fox bodies are iffy also IMO.

I wish I could find the pic I've seen of an E body "Cuda with T tops.

They look right at home.

T-tops done! I made my reinforcement/roll cage in two parts (left and right) out of 1 1/2 square tubing. I welded it together as much as I could before I put it in (not too easy welding inside the car) and completed the rest inside. The two halves are bolted together along the middle. Then I cut out the t-top portions. I also added on reinforcements so people could lean or sit on the roof without the sheet metal buckling.

View attachment 1715742992

View attachment 1715742993
Now go enjoy the hell out of it!

It will surely garner a lot of attention at Woodward!!

-
Back