1974 Duster water leak

-

Valleyant

Valleyant
Reaction score
I have a low mileage '74 Duster that has a water leak on the passenger front side. The plastic liner in the glove box fills with water when it rains and spills over onto the floor and thankfully the rubber floor collects and contains it. I eliminated the cowl opening and wiper pivot points as sources for the leak by taping all those openings. I think it is leaking through the windshield gasket.
Can I just silicone around the suspected area or do I need to replace the windshield gasket????
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

There could be a leak between the gasket and the body itself. I have seen cars look fine but once you start pulling stuff apart, rust damage is found. Hopefully this isn't the case here.
You can try injecting some sealant around the outside of the gasket but the trim will have to come off for access. The steel channel has to be cleaned out with a brush so any sealant you use will actually stick. This is not a 100% proper repair, just a Band-Aid sorts fix.

There could be a leak between the gasket and the body itself. I have seen cars look fine but once you start pulling stuff apart, rust damage is found. Hopefully this isn't the case here.
You can try injecting some sealant around the outside of the gasket but the trim will have to come off for access. The steel channel has to be cleaned out with a brush so any sealant you use will actually stick. This is not a 100% proper repair, just a Band-Aid sorts fix.
Thanks, I have been practicing removing/installing the trim on a parts valiant car that I have. So I guess I will take the Duster's off and inspect to see what I can find. I hope it I can remedy this leak easily.....just seems like a lot of work pulling the windshield and installing a new gasket and still not be guaranteed leak free. Thanks for the advice.

worked at a body shop in 70s, place air compressor hose in car with it open ,close car door and seal as good as possible, take dish washing liquid make up a 5 gallon bucket of soapy water, sponge it around windshield if it coming out you will see bubbles, if not at wipers , soap fresh air vents at cowl panel, you can see bubbles where ever water is getting in.

If I recall correctly there are several little windshield support tangs formed along the lower window opening. These are punched out from the inside, and leave similarly shaped sloted holes where they came from. These holes are usually covered by the windshield gasket. But no sealer is used at the factory. As the gasket ages it shrinks. Perhaps your gasket has pulled up and exposed these slots.
The only way to prove this is to pull the trim off. I seem to remember 4 or 5 of these slots on my 68 Barracuda. They should be covered by the lower edge of the rubber gasket;should be.

I should say that this memory is a little cloudy in my brain, and I'm not sure that it is 100% correct.

-
Back