Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
I have seen air cleaner pics with a more red-orange color that look good too. Not going to stick the decal til I'm sure. You can see in this pic that the air cleaner housing is more red than the orange on the decal...
View attachment 1715021266
Yup...
There are 2 Hemi Orange colors.
Hemi Orange and "Race Hemi Orange". Engines were Race Hemi Orange.
Race Hemi Orange is a little more red.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...7bPwwwcl1GzKJNJQKPC___UUfVn_wuz5lYaAhYQ8P8HAQ

Great work!

I decided I like the paint I used so I applied the decal.
IMG_6210.JPG
IMG_6211.JPG

Stopped by to see @AlV today to grab a powersteering pump bracket he had for me. As a nice bonus, I got a ride in his beautiful GTS. Al I can say is the car and the guy are awesome, truly awesome!
IMG_6216.JPG

Cleaned and primed my new steering column
IMG_6218.JPG

I have been wanting to bench test the starter I have, so I did and it is perfect. It also got a bath in laquer thinner and shot with primer.
IMG_6217.JPG

I saw @Alex5280 got an alternator that had a black housing. I like the look but since this is a low budget build I'm going to paint the alternator I have with brushable Rustoleum. I think it will be cool...
IMG_6214.JPG

As I'm sure some of you have summized from the amount of wet paint fumes and location of the freshly painted items, my wife was out for the day
:lol:

Last edited:
Not so bad that it is on your wife's granite countertops....but the fact that you allowed photos is beyond ignorance.
No evidence....no crime.

Yep......we're gonna need hush money! :eek::p
She is a doll! And she's smart too. I'm sure she already figured out what I was up to anyway. As long as there is no damage it's all good. She just doesn't want anything from the car in the oven, dishwasher. Washer or dryer, all of which I have not done but have seen plenty of on FABO...
:poke:

B.S........she WILL bring this up when SHE needs to. I bet if you call her on it , she will just grin.

I know her well....she is just like my wife. Even when I think I won....I didn't.

Ok now I'm nervous there will be retaliation one day.
:mob:

Other than that, I think I'm going to give this radiator a try.
IMG_6224.PNG

My basement looks like a demented iron butcher shop with freshly cleaned and painted old car parts hanging from pipes on the ceiling...
IMG_6241.JPG

Saginaw steering pump bracket install for dummy's (me) in pictures. Front and rear brackets bolt to pump.
IMG_6248.JPG

IMG_6249.JPG

Small triangle bracket goes here on lower water pump bolts.
IMG_6245.JPG

The large triangle goes here on middle water pump bolts.
IMG_6247.JPG

Then the pump slides on the brackets using the long bolt and spacer. The top bolt of the front large triangle goes thru the adjuster slot.
IMG_6251.JPG

IMG_6252.JPG

Got the old girl up on stands tonight. For some ridiculous reason my 57 year old brain does not remember how the pe-bent fuel and brake lines get routed on my 43 year old car. I hope right stuff detailing and inline tube have drawings to refresh my memory....
IMG_6260.JPG

Never fear.....you won't need drawings. They only go on one way, almost dummy proof.

For the fuel line....slide the front thru the hole in the trans crossmember on the passenger side and snap it in place . Helpful if you do not have the leaf spring in. Only a PIA if you have frame connectors which you clearly do not.

Brake lines are even easier.

Remember these cars were not designed....and built by rocket surgeons back in the seventies

Gotta go....20 minutes till Judge Wopner.

Never fear.....you won't need drawings. They only go on one way, almost dummy proof.

For the fuel line....slide the front thru the hole in the trans crossmember on the passenger side and snap it in place . Helpful if you do not have the leaf spring in. Only a PIA if you have frame connectors which you clearly do not.

Brake lines are even easier.

Remember these cars were not designed....and built by rocket surgeons back in the seventies

Gotta go....20 minutes till Judge Wopner.
Denny I think you're giving me way too much credit on the dummy scale....
As i knew when we installed the motor and trans, I had the cross member rotated right for left. I realized it when the bolts to the frame only lined up with on hole on each side, but left it deciding I should get new trans mount at one point and the car was far from firing anyway. That was nearly 20 months ago. I ordered my radiator, power steering hoses and belts, but forgot to get the trans mount. I'm sure the local napa has one or can get it by tomorrow. Then we will see how simple the line install can be! I do have all new hardware to fasten it that I got from R/T Specialties.

i have a shift lever that has a noticeably smaller hole for the roll pin than the knuckle on the column has....
IMG_6266.JPG

Obviously this lever didn't come out of this column. A smaller pin will make it too sloppy in the knuckle so I'ma gunna drill it out a smidge

Last edited:
After almost 2 years I took the right stuff detailing fuel line out of the box, then laid on the garage floor struggled and cussed for 45 minutes and now Misty has a new fuel line. Going to get a small charcoal canister to mount near the tank for the vent. Need to put the hardware on I got from R/T
IMG_6279.JPG
IMG_6281.JPG
IMG_6282.JPG

After figuring what end was the front, I was able to get the OEM style front to rear brake line I bought from inline tube in place
IMG_6283.JPG

And after nearly 5 years, amazingly I found the starter stud, nut and bolt!
Full size working starter that came with the the car is installed...
IMG_6286.JPG
IMG_6285.JPG

Last edited:
-
Back