1974 plymouth valiant 360 LA 904trans.

-

Tyler West

Reaction score
When in Drive and I floor it, it doesn’t seem to have much power at all. I’m new to these engines so I need help. Ok the timing needs adjusted. Could this be the reason for the poor acceleraton and loss of power?

timing is huge, that is correct. So are many other things. Please give us a more detailed description of the motor/car etc.
  • 4 bbl ?
  • cam?
  • headers?
  • torque converter?
  • gears?
  • etc, etc.... also what you have already tried.

timing is huge, that is correct. So are many other things. Please give us a more detailed description of the motor/car etc.
  • 4 bbl ?
  • cam?
  • headers?
  • torque converter?
  • gears?
  • etc, etc.... also what you have already tried.
I just bought it yesterday. The guy I got it from didn’t tell me what cam is in it. It’s a 4bbl. 3 speed auto. I haven’t tried anything yet because I don’t know where to start.

I just bought it yesterday. The guy I got it from didn’t tell me what cam is in it. It’s a 4bbl. 3 speed auto. I haven’t tried anything yet because I don’t know where to start.
Well, I guess I would start with what you said, timing. Without knowing anything about it, it's really a "shot in the dark", a guessing game.
  • But I would start with 35* total timing. Unplug the vacuum advance, and pick up the rpm's till the timing quits climbing. this may be around 3500 rpm's, maybe sooner.... depends on if the distributor has had any work done to it.
  • Initial (at idle) timing will end up being somewhere between 14-20*, I'd suspect.

Try setting the initial timing at 17° BTDC and total timing at 35° at 2500 RPM....

If you want to have the distributor recurved for it, contact member @halifaxhops

He has a sun distributor machine and rebuilds distributors... He can curve it to what you want/need...

By the way, welcome to the site !!! Pictures are nice also..

Well, I guess I would start with what you said, timing. Without knowing anything about it, it's really a "shot in the dark", a guessing game.
  • But I would start with 35* total timing. Unplug the vacuum advance, and pick up the rpm's till the timing quits climbing. this may be around 3500 rpm's, maybe sooner.... depends on if the distributor has had any work done to it.
  • Initial (at idle) timing will end up being somewhere between 14-20*, I'd suspect.
Thanks!

There are books that will help you learn to set the timing and you will need a timing light

Welcome to the site! If you have no idea what you have take a bunch of pictures of the engine. Let the eagle eye’s see what you have. They can probably tell you a bunch plus by the condition maybe where to start. Take a picture of the carb, and down between the drivers side 1 and 2nd spark plugs.

There is a post where you can make your own timing tape- do a search or perhaps someone will post it
actually if you go 10 just double up to 20 and scratch

My timing marks only goes to 10* on the block. What do I do?

You can get timing tape, an adjustable timing light, or make your own marks... Mark the 10°, then turn it to 0° and make another 10° mark, then do one at 35°...

So I timed it, had it running great. Took it for a drive and was all good. Brought it back, and now I’m having trouble starting it while hot, and also once I get it running it just wants to shut off.

-
Back