1974 Powerwagon 4spd transmission... how do I remove the shifter and relocate it?

-

sazzlefrats

Reaction score
This might be a noob question, but... I need to have both my tranny and transfer case shifters modified. I need both bent towards the center of the car.

My 65 Dart is sitting on a 1974 power wagon chassis, I'm not sure what model my tranny is, but... here's what I do know. The motor is a 318, the tranny is a 4spd with a granny gear (I think granny). The shifter pattern is 1up, 2 down, 3 up, 4 down, and Reverse down to the right. Attached to that is a NP205 divorced transfer case.

1. How do I remove the tranny shifter handle, from where its located I have pretty limited access and can't quite see what I'm looking for.
2. Who do I take the shifter handles to get bent? Basically I need the tranny one bent enough so that its 3" closer to the center of the car and the same for the 4spd shifter.

I know the answer to the first question because I own a 73 Powerwagon. Your transmission should be an NP435 and have a shifter retainer like the one pictured below. To remove the shifter push down on the spring loaded retainer and turn counter clockwise. This will unlock the retainer and allow you to remove the shifter. If you have a vise and a torch you should be able to bend the shifter yourself.

Attachments

• Shift Retainer.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 150
Wow, this is going to be easy (Getting the shifters off). I'll have to locate a vice and torch though. Those I do not have, nor do I have a workbench.

Thank you!

I noticed there are two things on either side of the shifter tower, are those the rods that the spring retainer locks into on the inside?

I have been pushing and trying to turn the retainer, in neutral, the retainer only pushes a hair downwards. It won't turn counter or clockwise.

-
Back