1975 Canadian Rustified Duster..

-

Plydust360

Reaction score
Lets just start with

Ive been a dodge guy from birth, it just sort of happend. My Dream car was a 1968 Dodge Charger, I dont know I love them, Everything about them , and not cause of bullitt. I almost had my dream car, 383 4spd, Black primer, on black interior. I told the owner I would be there to check it out saturday mourning. I actually had full intentions of purchasing it and he knew this.
I happend to be walking by the night before, and witnessed it being put on a tow truck, I was like wtf, so I talk to the guy, first time I met him in person, all other communication was on the phone or through his dad. He ended up selling it to a friend for a fraction of what I was fully ready to spend.

I ended up depressing myself a little, I was in high school at the time and walking home I saw the *** end of a car that Ive never seen before, I knew the house and one of the members, So I went to check it out, a Plymouth Duster, What the **** is that, I say to myself. I knew what a demon was, I didnt know what a duster was. So needless to say I was in love, buddy massacered a stereo install, and it hadnt started in 2 years. Hes like $200 its yours, I purchased a battery, spent 20 minutes undoing everything buddy did to the wiring. Turned the key fired right up. Drove it home(after aquiring ownership). It was doomed from day 1, I knew it but would never admit it. Did back road driving for a day or two, not having it plated and all.
Ended up disintegrating a torsion box and hitting a massive pot hole and putting the driver side leaf spring through the trunk. I still had hope and I still kept it in the Garage for 4 years, before deciding it was time, I would have died for that car, First Car at 16 purchased by myself with my own money.I swore I would do something, but It had just been too much. The frame was shot, both fenders and full quarters were needed, floor was good, trunk was not obviously. So I pileged it for parts, and scrapped it. (Im sorry I had to)

Id like to think of it has me buying the parts car before the car, now anyways.

It by the way was a 1974 Duster 318 auto. 4bbl (space duster) originally red with a white 3/4 vinyl top.

n511596763_27019_4307.jpg

My new one was a bad attempt at sublime. I have had it parked next to a sublime demon and it was rediculous how light mine was, not faded, it was just all together the wrong color.

This ones frame looked amazing I poked it all over with a screw driver, came out good, It was pouring rain when I gave him the deposit, so I couldnt see how off the lines were, It was a decent bondo job, thats enough talking about that.

Its actually A rediculous attempt at body work, they put metal on metal seamed it poorly, and failed at any proper way of tackling the task at hand, its a complete hack job, It depresses me greatly. I think the fact that it had everything I wanted was why it grabbed my eye and made me purchase it.

This one is a 1975 Plymouth Duster, 360 4spd,4bbl. (spaceduster)orignally brown(have to check the color) white beige interior, originally /6
n511596763_27025_6247.jpg

n511596763_27029_7523.jpg

This is just an example of bad work.

n511596763_197552_4566.jpg

Look on the bright side, you have a good looking, running, car that you can work on as you drive it. That's miles ahead of most of us who are still looking at the pile of parts and pieces surrounding our stripped down A Bodies. :)

Sorry, Ive been too busy to continue.

OldVart, lol I wish . It is probably in more pieces now than I can handle.

See my complication is, my garage is way to small, and moving isnt an option at the moment. I have lots of autmotive counterparts, but nowhere Id leave my car. So Im stuck in a tiny *** garage. I have parts from this one in a few key spots, but then I also have all the interior parts, and misc other parts all over. All in one tiny garage. So my progress is slow cluttered and cramped, but I swear ill have it done(nothings ever done, I know) before Im 30.

n511596763_197553_4805.jpg

n511596763_197554_5035.jpg

Hey Plydust360 hows it goin? Your story sounds almost identical to mine! I'm from Barrie just a little north of you and I bought a 73 Dart Sport for $600 and put $1,000 worth of brakes on it and on the test drive for the brakes the torsion box blew, so i sold it @ Burls Creek for what I paid for it. A year or two later I found what I thought was a "nice" 72 340 Duster and after paying $6,000 for it and getting it home I started a small tear down. After getting the interior out, I noticed the floor was RUSTY and not to mention cracked right across ther back half. Then I sanded out what had to have been 10 lbs of bondo outta the quarters. Unfortunately the car was too far gone, frames were rusted too thin etc.. Not to mention it wasn't even a 340 it was a mildly done up 318. So I stripped it of all its parts and scrapped it. I will be looking for a good replacement in the new year just wondering if you have any leads on a Duster of any year between 70 to 76 for a resonable price?

And keep at it man, it's hard work but just be glad your not in my spot lol!

Nice, when you find it we will cruise...

and Bud, im definatly in the same situation, I payed close to 6k for my second one too. bondo all over, and thin frame, but I am not giving up on this one Ill see it through, its just depressing when overhaulin can get it done in a few days...

how old are you ?

Keep up the good work. Those M/T valve covers HAVE to be restored and put back on your car. Hope to see you at Moparfest next year.

Billys car2 (Small).JPG

Cool, Thanks, Im 22...

I just removed, my heater core, the wiring from the front half of the car,

I took some pics of my problem area's. But I would like to post all the before pics at once. and then go from there.

Good luck with your project Plydust360!!! Do not despair, honestly one of the thinks that really relaxes me is when I work on my Duster. Keep up the good work and keep us up to date!!

-
Back