1975 Dart 318 (sorry but it's a4 door) Just want to say THANKS in advance the help!!

-

Joe Ball

Reaction score
I've wanted to try a build on a budget for years and had just not found something I felt comfortable doing with the very limited knowledge I have on this stuff. I l have always loved older cars and have always been a Mopar fan since riding in one of dad's buddy's '68 340 Swinger, it gave me the bug!! Anyway, I bought a '75 318 Dart and was wanting to make a little sleeper out of it and just have fun with it. I've installed a Weiand intake and 600 cfm Holley carb and am in the process of installing a set of Hedman headers and have found out what a chore this can be, to say the least!! Any suggestions on making this as painless and discouraging as possible would be greatly appreciated!! Thank You guys in advance! Now get typing, I'm dying to get his thing on the road!!!!

:welcome: to the fray! How far have you gotten into the header install? Considering your self proclaimed limited knowledge, I figure you also have a limited collection of tools...? Two suggestions: A. Find a buddy who knows about this stuff to help you out, pay attention and learn from him/her. B. As you discover the need for this tool or that - go buy it. Tools are an absolute must have and a great investment... in time, you'll have both the tools and the knowledge to do similar projects yourself and you will be the guy your buddy's calls for help. Do not get discouraged by failure - learn from it. Good luck!!!!
PS - we like pics!!! :thumbsup:

:welcome: to the fray! How far have you gotten into the header install? Considering your self proclaimed limited knowledge, I figure you also have a limited collection of tools...? Two suggestions: A. Find a buddy who knows about this stuff to help you out, pay attention and learn from him/her. B. As you discover the need for this tool or that - go buy it. Tools are an absolute must have and a great investment... in time, you'll have both the tools and the knowledge to do similar projects yourself and you will be the guy your buddy's calls for help. Do not get discouraged by failure - learn from it. Good luck!!!!
PS - we like pics!!! :thumbsup:
I have a fairly decent tool box, and I've got the buddy thing covered, thank goodness. I've got the old exhaust manifolds out and the new headers in and am having problems with the passengers side more than anything, there's just so much s&$t to get under, through and around!

I have a fairly decent tool box, and I've got the buddy thing covered, thank goodness. I've got the old exhaust manifolds out and the new headers in and am having problems with the passengers side more than anything, there's just so much s&$t to get under, through and around!
yea - you very likely have to disconnect the steering - IIRC a tie rod will get you there

Welcome, you will quickly find there are plenty of more door fans here, as well as plenty of knowledge to help you get your ride on the road as quickly as possible

Welcome!
As for the more door, I am a big fan!
Got a 75 4 door myself.
Love it!
Sleeper look is the only way to go.
Get the looks every time I start it up!

0514152047a.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome!
As for the more door, I am a big fan!
Got a 75 4 door myself.
Love it!
Sleeper look is the only way to go.
Get the looks every time I start it up!

View attachment 1715020255
Love it, it looks exactly like mine!! Same color and everything!Only difference is mine has forest green wheels. Did you do headers and if so were they a b@&ch?!?! What is the easiest way if you did.

Love it, it looks exactly like mine!! Same color and everything!Only difference is mine has forest green wheels. Did you do headers and if so were they a b@&ch?!?! What is the easiest way if you did.
Hooker Comps.
Put them on before the motor dropped in.
Was a breeze doing it that way.
I have heard of pulling the passenger side mount and jacking / lifting the motor up some to get that side in.
Looking forward to some pics of yours.

Welcome, and nothing wrong with 4-doors :) . Headers are a pain, but they go in. Car has to be high off the ground (make sure it's safe). Raise the engine up by loosening the motor mounts, and use a jack with a board on the oil pan. You'll need to drop the steering linkage, but it will all make sense as you go....
Be a great car to enter in the 318 race :D

I know it's been a while since original post but here's an update and another request for suggestions- Got the headers in, carb tuned, and engine is running well! It sounds like a beast without exhaust, LOL! Here's the question, 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 inch tubing for exhaust? I plan on putting x-pipe in and 40 series Flomaster mufflers, thoughts and suggestions?

I know it's been a while since original post but here's an update and another request for suggestions- Got the headers in, carb tuned, and engine is running well! It sounds like a beast without exhaust, LOL! Here's the question, 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 inch tubing for exhaust? I plan on putting x-pipe in and 40 series Flomaster mufflers, thoughts and suggestions?
Any pics?? I love 75 darts of any kind. I have a 75 dart 2 door with a slant six but I always liked 4 doors as well because the original darts are just great cars. :)

Any pics?? I love 75 darts of any kind. I have a 75 dart 2 door with a slant six but I always liked 4 doors as well because the original darts are just great cars. :)
Don't have her back from getting tuned yet, but when I do I'll post some for you. It's a longer journey than I wanted but when I fired it up Sunday for the first time since headers were installed and no exhaust I about s@!t my pants, LOL! It went from sounding like my grandmas pinto to a fire breathing dragon!! I'm just debating on what to do with the exhaust now!?!? I want it to sound good but don't want to draw too much attention from the tuner guys until I get next to them. She should be decent enough on gas to be daily driver, at least I'm hoping.

Hi Joe, are you from RI? When I was in grade school I had a friend with the same name as you.

Okay guys, can I get some MILD cam ideas from you guys! Thanks!
I used a Comp XE268 in the teen in my 76' Aspen. It sounds awesome and runs VERY strong. I topped the motor with a Edelbrock performer intake and 500 cfm carb. It is also wearing a set of Summit brand headers.

Okay guys here is where I am. 1975 318 dart- here's what I have done.
Hedman headers into 2 1/2" exhaust
Weiand Action Plus Intake
600 Holley carb

Doing cam, lifters, and timing set next. Suggestions Please!?!?

-
Back