1975 dart sport gas tank vent blocked?

-

exile uk

Reaction score
Had a fueling issue and took tank off,should i be able to blow air into the single vent outlet or is it one way only,just making sure it aint blocked as i cant blow through it and thought as gas leaves tank air is sucked in to replace it??

The tank vent has nothing to do (or very little) with filling the tank. That is "done" by the baffle in the filler, where fuel is supposed to gravity run down the lower part of the filler, with the baffle allowing air to come back up the "upper" side. You will NEVER fill a tank with a 1/4" vent

The ONLY vent on a 71/ later which has the evap emissions is a 1/4" tube that runs up into the engine bay, and interconnects with the evap/ carbon can system. The filler cap is NOT vented as the term is usually used. It is called a "pressure vacuum" cap and is a pressure release for build up in each direction, AKA too much pressure, and too much vacuum.

As far as the vent into the tank, I do not believe there is any check valve there, but might be. There normally is an "antispill?" "anti siphon" ball in the 1/4" line up in the engine bay. Go download the 73 manual (latest you can get free) and read up on how it all works. Look in the fuel section covering the tank as well as the emissions section towards the back

Will try to explain the vent tube on the 1974 thru 1976 A bodies. The vent tube's total length is about 9 inches and it runs close to the inside roof of the fuel tank. The end of the tube is crimped shut and it is tack welded to the roof. Now as to how it vents gas vapors. Following the tube to the 6 inch mark, you'll find a very small 3/64 hole in the top of the vent tube. If you try blowing hard into the tube,it appears to be blocked. Try blowing gently with your mouth and you should feel pressure being released. We used a Mityvac pressure tool with gauge to prove the tube wasn't blocked. Unfortunately the only way to actually see the 3/64 vent hole would be to cut the top of the tank off and separate the tube. There's no description of this in the service manual. In 1976 Federal law required the use of rollover valves, which were installed outside of the fuel tank.

-
Back