1975 Duster, An Orphan?

-

Skrambler

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

As you can see, I am pretty new at this forum, but have enjoyed just about everything I have read on all these boards, great stuff!

My question is pretty simple ( I think! ).
I recently purchased a bone stock, 1975 Duster from it's original owner. Received all the information he had on the car down to the dealship order forms that he filled out in 1974, and the original window sticker, a long with other items that I have never seen follow a car for so long.
I am real happy with the power of the stock 318 and the general looks to this car. The color is B5 blue, and it has the matching blue interior. Everything is darn near perfect, inside and out with the exception of the grill. Those darn thin, small squares are starting to crack, and one is actually gone. It is located by the head light, so it does not show real bad, but it looks like a missing tooth to me when I look at it...
I would like to replace this grill, and the hazed over, clear parking light lenses too.
Now, here is where I may ruffle some feathers....I really do not like the "looks" of the original 75 grill... Kinda looks more like an Aspen, or Volare grill from the cars of the later 70's or early 80's. If I was to look for a replacement, of another year, what would fit? And would I have to change anything else in the front, or would it be a simple exchange?
I have noticed as I look around on these site pages that listings for most Dusters span the years 1970 to 1974. And, when I look for mechanical parts, and even fuel items like fuel tanks and senders, they all seem to end at 1974.
I do realize that my car was the first year for unleaded gas, but did body panels, and parts from earlier years really change that much that they do not interchange?
I see that lots of folks have the earlier years (70-74) and boy, would I like to own one of the first production years, but this is what I found, and really to have it in such presine condition, I was not going to walk away from it. I am simply wondering if I will be troubled finding items for this car because of it's "year".
Many thanks, in advance for anyones "Two-Cent's-Worth".

I've owned a 75 Duster, 2 73 Dusters, and a 72 Duster and for the most part the parts interchange.... "for the most part"

There were a number of changes to many things but the main body stayed the same.
I'm not going to get into the intricacies of what changed and what will swap over..I'll tackle the grill question.
73-75 grills will fit.....the lower grill support will have to be changed if you have the recessed parking lights ( and you want to use a as there is a little lip in it that supports the recessed lights, other than that it should be cake. I'm pretty sure the headlight bezels are different as well, to work with the recessed grill.

see: http://www.valiant.org/images/images.html 3rd pic from the bottom ( that is the grill I'm talking about )

The answer is....if you want a different look, you'll have to do some major changes. You could make a custom grille and use your existing parts or if you like one of the earlier years ('67-72 models) you can keep your fenders but change everything else up the middle......hood, grille, bumper assy, fillers, etc, along with some minor wiring and bumper bracket mods.

-
Back