1975 duster fuse block hold down pic needed

-

flathead31coupe

Reaction score
The 75 duster seems to have a fuse block that swings down to access the fuses and then goes back up into place. Does anyone have a picture of what the whole down looks like? Is it a wing net? Is it a stud and a bolt? Any help would be appreciated

What I've read is there should be some kind of a wing nut this one mounts to the underside of the dash and you take the nut off and it swings on a hands down so you can get to it and then it folds back up. My 66 had one with a screw in it

The 75 duster seems to have a fuse block that swings down to access the fuses and then goes back up into place. Does anyone have a picture of what the whole down looks like? Is it a wing net? Is it a stud and a bolt? Any help would be appreciated
Pictures here of one pulled.
It should probably have plastic shield on the back.
I had a '75 but do not remember if the whole thing unhooked. Lemme see if the owners manual has anything.

edit: Operator's manual says there is a retaining screw which can be removed and the block pulled down for easier visibility.

Post a photo

This is directly from the 1975 service manual:
The fuse box is located in the passenger compartment under the instrument panel to the left of the steering column. To remove lift straight up from the mounting bracket.

That makes more sense.
If you look at the side of the fuseblock by the #1 and 2 fuse position - that section mates to a metal bracket.

This is directly from the 1975 service manual:
The fuse box is located in the passenger compartment under the instrument panel to the left of the steering column. To remove lift straight up from the mounting bracket.

PXL_20230715_190949198.jpg

PXL_20230715_190942133.jpg

Mine goes up horizontal and swings on a hinge type bracket. It's got to be some kind of stud or bolt and nut or something that drops down through there

Did a little more research on your fuse box. In 1975 and 1976 Chrysler added the swing down bracket to try and make it easier to access the fuses.
They used a metal thumb scerw that you would unscrew about one full turn to swivel the box down. A plastic nut was attached to the back side of the bracket. The thumb screw can be seen in the Mcmaster catalog. Go to their catalog and search for: steel spade head thumb screw. Size is 1/4-20 thread size - 1/2 inch long.

Did a little more research on your fuse box. In 1975 and 1976 Chrysler added the swing down bracket to try and make it easier to access the fuses.
They used a metal thumb scerw that you would unscrew about one full turn to swivel the box down. A plastic nut was attached to the back side of the bracket. The thumb screw can be seen in the Mcmaster catalog. Go to their catalog and search for: steel spade head thumb screw. Size is 1/4-20 thread size - 1/2 inch long.
Ty

I found these pictures but have no idea of what kind of plastic piece or thumb screw would be needed. It's not a big deal but it'd be cool to have it back like it was original

Screenshot_20230717-031039.png

Screenshot_20230717-031052.png

It looks like that piece is made onto the thumb screw cuz when you turn it a quarter turn or half turn it has a u-shape cut out in the bracket that lets it slide past that piece and fold down

That's pretty much the way it works but the plastic piece on the back side of the bracket is threaded. The thumb screw is a tight fit in the threaded plastic piece, so when you turn the thumb screw 90 degrees both the screw and the plastic piece rotate together. Once turned 90 degrees, the plastic piece lines up to a slot in the bracket allowing the fuse box to swing down. Those pieces don't appear in the parts catalog. Looks like your only option is used or fabricating something.

Nice photo post by @John Mountain
1693275320790.png

Keep checking the 'cars parted' for sale and eventually a '75 will come along.

I’ve got a ‘76 dash and harness in the garage and it didn’t have that bracket when I went to go look at it. Wonder if it was ‘75 and only early ‘76 that got the hinged bracket?

Just looked at a 1976 dash that came from a Duster that had a build date of November 17, 1975. It has the hinged bracket.

I just need to see what the thumb screw looks like and how it screws up into the bracket. Thanks for your help
My 75 was rolled off the line in February 75. It has the hinged fuse panel. The thumb screw holding the panel up only turns 90 degrees before the panel swivels down.

Here’s a picture of it. The combination of tight space and lighting to not get a shadow means it’s not a great quality picture though.
IMG_3328.jpeg

-
Back