1975 Duster original 6 to 383

-

Luckey1993

Reaction score
Hey first car restoration and I'm setting it up for street and drag racing. I just purchased a 383 pushing 435hp on the dyno. I was curious will my stock 904 handle that much hp? If so is there a conversion kit if not I can get a small block 727 but will that match up or will I also need a conversion? Also will a 7 1/4 rear end hold or should I purchase an 8 1/4 or 8 3/4?

Welcome to FABO!
The small block and slant 6 transmissions won't bolt up to a big block. The bolt pattern is different on the back of the block.
Big blocks only used 727s for automatics.
I suggest you visit Schumacher's web site for mounts, headers, etc.
There are a lot of things that need to be changed when converting a slant 6 car to a big block, or at least should be changed such as brakes (if they aren't disc brakes already), cooling, rear end etc.
For what you have, a 7 1/4 won't live for long, an 8 1/4 would be okay, and an 8 3/4 would be perfect.
There is a forum on here that caters to the big block a bodies, i suggest you read a bunch of posts on there, there's lots of good info for what you're planning to do.

Check out bigblockdart.com too...several tech articles there to help you with the swap process

After building my 440 Duster I have often thought about a stroker 360 instead. I wouldn't change, but I think it might be the wisest route.

:burnout:

I had a 67 cuda with a 383 4 speed. the PO did a lot of rallye road racing, he put a big ( how big) sway bar up front and it handled great. but like plydus 340 said, a lo t of power can be made from a stroker SB. I do like the b motor over the RB myself.
lots of good info here, you have a lot of things that need to changed for the 383.
does your ca have disc? needs: correct k member OR schumaker mounts. good 727 and correct convertor. 8 3/4 rear and correct gear for your needs. bigger torsion bars. front sway bar? radiator. exhaust ( headers?)
it will be fun ride....

-
Back