1975 Plymouth Duster

-

Juan Fuentes

Reaction score
hello, I recently just purchased a 1975 Plymouth duster with a 318 and 727 Transmission. I want to modify the engine and get anywhere between 350-375 horsepower. I am leaning on a daily driver but I definitely want to take it to the drag strip once in a month, not all the time.My question is that will a 8 1/4” rear end be okay for this application? It is very hard to find a 8 3/4” rear end. Thanks

From my personal experience and what I have heard from friends, the 8 1/4 is stout enough for what you want to do. I have 1 in my car and it is holding up well. Maybe not with slicks and a 4 speed but for what you describe, I bet it will last a good while.

Cley

It’ll be fine. The biggest enemy of the rear is the cars weight followed by the shock load at launch.
If you can, lighten up the car where ever possible and don’t do any stupid **** like dropping the trans from neutral into gear at 5500.

this your first mopar? drive it, do lots of reading and don't just start buying parts. you should probably go through a dozen builds in you head before spending any $$.
have fun :)

-
Back