1976 360 and trans opinions wanted

-

65Val

Average Length Member
Reaction score
I have a chance to pick up a '76 360 4bbl engine and trans (727 ?) from a motorhome thats being parted out. I haven't done much investigating of which years and such that the 360 was good or bad. I'd like y'all's opinion on the "quality" of this particular year of 360 and is it a good base for building a slightly modified street engine for my '67 Dart'vert.

Thanks gang.

Any and all opinions welcome!

On motor homes its always a good idea to double check on the engine year. Just because the Motor home is one year the engine could be of another.. So I have heard... I don't know a lot about the particulars of it though... I would say that would be a gooden...

There really isn't any issue with using that engine. I have three 360 blocks, one with a cast date of 1970, one 1975 and one 1987 and would hesitate to use anyone. Given the fact that anything can happen in manufacturing anyone could be better than the others regardless of year.

What SleeperScamp is refering to is, and find this more with big block Class A motorhomes, but you could still get a 413 in a Dodge motorhome into the mid 70's even though they hadn't been produced since the mid 60's. But being the earliest 360 is 1971 it won't be any earlier than that. There will be a casting date on the block to tell for sure what year it is.

Chuck

Haha Chuck, my friend Mark at work has a 413 from a motor home actually.

But I also have to agree, I have a 75 and 77 date coded block, both complete. Cylinder heads are roughly the same as a X head.

To just get the Dart on the road I am building one of them up with new flat top pistons, new cam and valvetrain, ported stock heads, Eddy intake and a Holley 750. Believe it or not I esitmate 425 hp and the same amount of torque. The most expensive thing you will probably run in is the machine work. Boring, honing, possibly lifter bores brushed, decking, magnaflux, shave the headsand possibly 1 or 2 other things. My machine bill was roughly $750.

Thanks for the replies,all. I'm not really too familiar with the different "eras" of 360's. I've been a 273 guy mostly. I have heard some years are good,and some years to avoid. Will it be an externally balanced engine or internally balanced? I'm hoping my 904 trans will bolt up as it fits the trans tunnel better than the 727. Are there any other things to look for with this engine and trans? Apparently, its still in the motorhome chassis,and is driveable, but most of the motorhome body is gone.

The trans itself will bolt up but you will need to purchase either a 360 convertor or a weighted aftermarket flexplate being the 360 will be external balance.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck. Is there any other physical differences between the 273 convertor and the 360 convertor,other than the balancing weight, ie., input shaft or T/C hub size,etc? Can I just transfer the weight from the 360 convertor onto the 273 convertor/flex plate?

Thanks

I really don't think there would be any difference of the 904 other than the weight and starting in the mid 70's Mopar starting making lock up convertors and these are not interchangable. I suppose you could transfer the weight from the 360 to the 273 convertor.

Chuck

id check the engine over closely, being from a motor home. thats alot of work on a small engine. especially for signs of overheating

-
Back