1976 Dart Parts into Early A?

-

TNT440_Cbody

Reaction score
Will the rear from a '76 Dart fit in an Early A? What rear will a 76 likely have?

I know that I can use the disk brakes and control arms... just wondering if it would be worth the hassle to me to buy the car and part it out just so I can essentially get the brakes and rear. Is there a market for body/interior parts from a '76?

Thanks.

Will the rear from a '76 Dart fit in an Early A?

Yes.

What rear will a 76 likely have?

Standard equipment was a 7¼" with 2.76 gears (automatic trans), 3.23 gears (manual trans). Optional equipment was an 8¼" with 2.76 (auto) 3.23 (manual).

Is there a market for body/interior parts from a '76?

Are they super nice?

I'll have to take a look at the car. Tried to call but got no answer. If I can't get it for cheap, it wouldn't be worth buying to part out anyway.

Thanks Dan, now I know that I can't automatically assume that it has an 8 1/4 rear! Although for my purpose, the 7 1/4 is still fine, and I'd get the BBP brakes and wheel options on both ends.

I'll try and get a hold of them again tomorrow.

If you haven't looked at the car, there is no guarantee that it even has disc brakes/big bolt pattern wheels. The low line Dart still came with drum brakes and 4" bolt pattern.

Not in '76, it didn't. Due to tightened brake performance and pedal-effort standards that came into effect a couple of months into the '76 model year, disc brakes w/booster became standard.

Not in '76, it didn't. Due to tightened brake performance and pedal-effort standards that came into effect a couple of months into the '76 model year, disc brakes w/booster became standard.
Well, some must have slipped through as I've had two '76 A-bodies with manual drum brakes that looked original. I didn't note the production date but maybe they were real early ones. Of course, they could have been conversions of some sort but they had the '73-6 spindles, drums, steering, upper arms, etc. so it's unlikely. I know of several local guys that have bought '73-7 A-bodies to get the disc and 8 1/4 rears for their early A-bodies and once they swapped them over, they put the old drum parts back in the later A and sold the car so anything is possible. My point was, don't assume anything. Look closely before you buy so there are no surprises later.

Well, some must have slipped through as I've had two '76 A-bodies with manual drum brakes that looked original. I didn't note the production date but maybe they were real early ones. Of course, they could have been conversions of some sort but they had the '73-6 spindles, drums, steering, upper arms, etc. so it's unlikely. I know of several local guys that have bought '73-7 A-bodies to get the disc and 8 1/4 rears for their early A-bodies and once they swapped them over, they put the old drum parts back in the later A and sold the car so anything is possible. My point was, don't assume anything. Look closely before you buy so there are no surprises later.

According to the Allpar site, 1976 was the last year for the small bolt pattern. It was used only on drum brakes after 72. My 73 Scamp is an original drum brake car. IT'S FOR SALE TOO.

-
Back