1976 Dodge Dart- Won’t Start.....

-

MAGA

Reaction score
I am very new to mechanics and especially electrical issues..... I have 1976 Dodge Dart with a Slant Six.... It’s been running great... until now.

I know the battery is good. But I let it sit for awhile (1 month) in the bad weather. A bit of water infiltration into the interior (etc).

I tried starting it and at first the starter would catch intermittently, then it went to making a buzzing sound and no starter, and now it makes no sound at all....

I could hear a buzzing sound for awhile (like over 20 attempts to start) but now nothing.

Any ideas?

A Simplified 3 step approach:
1). Make sure the battery is charged, or use jumper cables.
2). See if battery cables are loose, a twist with pliers will do.
Try cranking.
3). If starter still doesnt engage and crank the engine...Smack the starter motor in the back with a hammer.
Any luck?

I tried starting it and at first the starter would catch intermittently, then it went to making a buzzing sound and no starter, and now it makes no sound at all....

Sounds like a dead battery. Welcome to the list. Introduce yourself after you get it started. :D

I'm pretty sure this is gonna be dead/ bad battery, or dirty post/ clamp connections.

I'm pretty sure this is gonna be dead/ bad battery, or dirty post/ clamp connections.
Yeah, look at battery connections. If there is a whitish colored crud on there, it's keeping starter from getting the full oomph from battery. If so, GENTLY twist the connector. I think it will usually be on the + positive side, the whitish powder that is.

So I cleaned the battery posts and whacked the starter motor once and hooked up a charger to the battery. It started right up! Thanks for the help

-
Back