1976 Scamp fuel gauge problems

-
Find a recent thread about a 65 fuel gauge for picture reference. The nichrome winding should spread heat evenly over the length of the bi metal causing it to bow. Bows and/or kinks in the bi-metal at room temperature caused by over heating/hot spots in the winding produce the needle movement you are seeing.
The 20 ohm instrument that's found in that 65 model was more sensitive accurate than the 13 ohm instrument your car has but... your instrument was designed to live longer. It would suffer less from heat produced by a full tank signal.
Too much info I'm sure. Bottom line, voltage regulators cant fix bad gauges.

For the most part I understand how the gauge works, but I figured it was worth a try. There's a post around here somewhere stating that running 7 volts through his gauge got it working how it should, but since mine did at least read full, I figured why not try 6 and see what happens. Now I know that it just delays how long it takes it to get to empty. When still on the mechanical regulator, it would read empty after four gallons, on the electronic one that puts out one more volt, it reads empty after about 6-8 gallons.

-
Back