1976 three on the tree question

-

Cartomato

Reaction score
First I hope this is the right section and if not I apologize. Second does anyone know what manual transmission was actually in the 1976 feather duster. From what I have seen from a few ads and Wikipedia most are a automatic and the manual ones are according to Wikipedia a 3 speed with overdrive. The issue is I can seem to find a mention of them giving the feather duster a plain 3 on the tree. My Grampian swears his didn’t have the overdrive and the pictures he has of it show it as defenetly a colum manual so did they make a column shift three speed with an overdrive or am I missing something. Thanks for any help.

My understanding that they were available with a 904 auto, 230 3-spd or the 833 4-spd OD. Also it is a 4-spd overdrive transmission, not a 3-spd with overdrive.

My understanding that they were available with a 904 auto, 230 3-spd or the 833 4-spd OD. Also it is a 4-spd overdrive transmission, not a 3-spd with overdrive.
Got it thanks. I just couldn’t manage to find anything even saying they came with a three speed column so I was confused. Thanks for clearing it up

So far as I know none of the "more modern" Mopars ever came with a 3 speed overdrive. When people say that what they are referring to is a 3 speed stick (often yes, column shift) with a OD unit tagged onto the tail shaft, shifted usually by an electric actuator.

Just to be clear, the A833 OD 4 speed is a 4 speed in which Chrysler re-geared the THIRD gear to be an OD gear. The ld 4th gear is not a gear. All traditional US 4 speeds and 3 speeds in passenger (and light truck use) the "high" gear AKA 3rd in a 3 speed, 4th in a 4 speed, were a shaft coupling, and not really a gear.

Chrysler turned the 3-4 shift lever upside down so that as you shift the shift lever 1-2-3-4, the transmission is actually shifting 1-2-4-3, IE 4th being the "new" 3rd is "straight through" and the old 3rd gear becoming 4th has been re-geard as an OD

If it was column shift, it was a three speed. Period. AFAIK, the A230 was the only three speed in cars at that time. Good transmission.

So far as I know none of the "more modern" Mopars ever came with a 3 speed overdrive. When people say that what they are referring to is a 3 speed stick (often yes, column shift) with a OD unit tagged onto the tail shaft, shifted usually by an electric actuator.

Just to be clear, the A833 OD 4 speed is a 4 speed in which Chrysler re-geared the THIRD gear to be an OD gear. The ld 4th gear is not a gear. All traditional US 4 speeds and 3 speeds in passenger (and light truck use) the "high" gear AKA 3rd in a 3 speed, 4th in a 4 speed, were a shaft coupling, and not really a gear.

Chrysler turned the 3-4 shift lever upside down so that as you shift the shift lever 1-2-3-4, the transmission is actually shifting 1-2-4-3, IE 4th being the "new" 3rd is "straight through" and the old 3rd gear becoming 4th has been re-geard as an OD
I've had about five of the aluminum cased A-833 OD units...couldn't give them to people to make room for other parts in the day. I had one in my 80 something /6 flared fender pick up. I loved it. She would boil em in 1st!

I've had about five of the aluminum cased A-833 OD units...couldn't give them to people to make room for other parts in the day. I had one in my 80 something /6 flared fender pick up. I loved it. She would boil em in 1st!
I wish I could find one reasonably for an A body. I'll get one one of these days.

I wish I could find one reasonably for an A body. I'll get one one of these days.
I remember years ago I took that ill-geared OD out of my Duster and put a straight 4-speed in, way better car.
The best thing about an OD is it does everything wrong, but the lower first gear.

I drove a 79 B200 shorty van with a 318/833OD and 355 gears. I got upwards of 25 mpg when empty.

I drove a 79 B200 shorty van with a 318/833OD and 355 gears. I got upwards of 25 mpg when empty.
Yes I have also had a lot of pickups with the od.
One I had was with a slant and it was gutless, I even tried putting 4.56 gears in it, still not worth a crap.
Put the 3.55 gears back in, and put a NP435 trans in it, way better truck after the trans change.

I remember years ago I took that ill-geared OD out of my Duster and put a straight 4-speed in, way better car.
The best thing about an OD is it does everything wrong, but the lower first gear.
You know why? Because Chrysler crippled those transmissions with pussified rear gears. Even in the hot rod world, people put in 3.55s "thinkin" they're doing something. I wouldn't put anything numerically lower than a 3.90 and if I find one I'll run either a 4.10 or 4.30 depending on what tire I choose. THAT'S what makes the difference.

Just depends on what your wanting. Worked good in my van for what I used it for. Wanted good fuel mileage. A performance tranny they are not. With their gear spread I wouldn't want one with a slant six.
Also isn't anything with a slant gutless?:poke:

In the early 80's I had a 63 D-100 slant 6 3 in the tree. Well I don't recall why but the 8 3/4 went south. I had a 4.10 Dana 60 SG out of a 76 W-200 with 900 x16 mud tires . So I put it under that truck which was my hunting truck. What Bad *** SOB that truck was. It had tons of pulling power. I loved pulling people out of the mud and one guy that had hung up his Chubby on a culvert , looked at my POS step side rusted out 63 truck and commented when I asked if he wanted me to pull him off, "Well if you think you can" With a 4" snatch strap I snatched the dentures out his head! I friend of mine dropped a 22 mag pistol and it went off and hit him in one of his fingers. So I took him to a hospital in my 63 Dodge D-100 to the emergency room. He had the whole hospital outside looking at my baby **** blue rusted out Dodge. Even the cops that were called because of a gunshot accident out on the ER ramp laughing at my truck. My buddy was fine.

Just a tid bit. The 1976 Feather Duster and the Dodge Dart Sport Lite were the first American production cars to achieve 30 mpg on the highway.

You know why? Because Chrysler crippled those transmissions with pussified rear gears. Even in the hot rod world, people put in 3.55s "thinkin" they're doing something. I wouldn't put anything numerically lower than a 3.90 and if I find one I'll run either a 4.10 or 4.30 depending on what tire I choose. THAT'S what makes the difference.
Yeah, that duster only had 3.23 gears, but I did 4.56 gears in the truck, and it still was not happy.

Yeah, that duster only had 3.23 gears, but I did 4.56 gears in the truck, and it still was not happy.
You only had a 3.23 final ratio. If it had tall tires on it, it probably was a slug in high gear unless you had some RPM on the engine. Was the engine stock?

You only had a 3.23 final ratio. If it had tall tires on it, it probably was a slug in high gear unless you had some RPM on the engine. Was the engine stock?
No it was modified, but it was no problem to downshift on the interstate to third and take off, tires were kinda short 235/60/14.

No it was modified, but it was no problem to downshift on the interstate to third and take off, tires were kinda short 235/60/14.
I must have hit on a really good combo with mine.....although it's not an OD, it's very strong. Even with just 2.94 gears it was still stout. Course, I'm draggin around a lot less weight, too.

heard that they were common for those who could drive a manual and wanted a good looking car for somewhat cheap.
yeah he had it either new or a couple years old, it was nice at the time. He was married with 3 kids so he liked an economy car...he wasn't buying performance cars LOL! I remember the pop out rear windows.

I had a 75 Dart Sport /6 with a 3 on the floor.
I've had several 3 on the tree cars including a 74 Charger, 64 Belvedere and a few A-bodies including a 70 Dart /6 3 on the tree with an 8.75 out back.

DCP_6593.jpg

-
Back